BACKGROUND ON THE DAILY DAF
brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Har Nof
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Bava Basra 39
BAVA BASRA 39 & 40 - dedicated by an admirer of the work of the Dafyomi
Advancement Forum, l'Iluy Nishmas Mrs. Gisela (Golda bas Reb Chaim Yitzchak
Ozer) Turkel, A"H.
1) [line 6] AMRU LEI, "LO AMRINAN LEI" - they (the witnesses, in front of
whom the Me'ar'er made a Mecha'ah) said to him (the Me'ar'er), "We are not
going to tell him (the Machzik)!"
2) [line 10] "LO SEIPUK LECHU SHUSA" - "Do not let a word [of this Mecha'ah]
get out (not to the Machzik and not to anyone else)!"
3) [line 14] KOL MILSA D'LO RAMYA ALEI D'INISH, AMAR LAH V'LAV A'DA'ATEI -
any matter in which a person does not have a vested interest (and does not
have a direct command not to reveal), he will reveal to others without
4) [last line] KOL MILSAD'MIS'AMRA B'APEI TELASA, LEIS BEI MISHUM LISHNA
BISHA (LASHON HA'RA)
The Torah forbids Lashon ha'Ra, making derogatory statements about others,
whether they are true or not (Vayikra 19:16, see Erchin 16a et seq., the
commentaries to Erchin ibid. and Chofetz Chayim by Rav Yisroel Meir ha'Kohen
mi'Radin). In our Gemara, Rabah bar Rav Huna rules that any derogatory
statement that is said in front of three people is no longer prohibited as
Lashon ha'Ra (i.e. one is permitted to pass it on to the person about whom
it is spoken). Once three people are told something, it is considered as if
everyone knows about it. Rebbi Chiya bar Aba, citing Rebbi Yochanan,
disagrees, ruling that even when two people know about it, it is as if the
whole world knows.
5a) [line 9] SAHADUSA - testimony
b) [line 10] GILUYEI MILSA - exposure of the matter
6) [line 19] TAHI BAH REBBI YOCHANAN - Rebbi Yochanan wondered about and
contemplated it (Bar Kapara's ruling)