POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
Prepared by Rabbi P. Feldman
of Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Bava Basra 16
BAVA BASRA 16 (23 Nisan) - dedicated by Mr. Avy Reichman of Queens, NY,
l'Iluy Nishmas his father, Dovid ben Avraham, on the day of his Yahrzeit.
1) THE AFFLICTIONS OF IYOV
(a) Successive messengers came telling Iyov of the loss of
his property and children; Iyov accepted it and blessed
Hash-m. The Satan still praised Avraham, and Hash-m
2) IYOV'S REACTION
(b) (R. Yochanan): "Va'Tesiseni" - if the verse did not say
that Hash-m was enticed, it would be forbidden to say
1. (Beraisa): The Satan descends, causes people to sin,
ascends, prosecutes and receives permission to kill.
(c) (Reish Lakish): The Satan, evil inclination, the angel of
death - these are all one.
2. The Satan thought that if Iyov himself was stricken,
he would blaspheme; Hash-m authorized the Satan to
do as he wanted to him, on condition that he keep
3. (R. Yitzchak): The Satan was in more pain than Iyov,
it was very hard to ravage his body and preserve his
1. A Gezerah Shavah teaches that the Satan is the evil
(d) (R. Yehoshua ben Levi): The Satan and Peninah both
intended for the sake of Heaven.
2. Since Hash-m told him to guard Iyov's life, we learn
that he can take lives, i.e. he is the angel of
1. The Satan was concerned that Hash-m's love of Iyov
might detract from his love for Avraham.
2. Peninah pained Chanah "Ba'avor Hare'imah", in order
that Chanah would pray to Hash-m.
3. Rav Acha bar Yakov expounded thusly; the Satan
kissed his knees.
(a) (Rava): "Lo Chata Iyov bi'Sfasav" - but he sinned in his
(b) Question: What does it mean "Eretz Nitenah b'Yad Rasha"?
(c) Answer #1 (Rava): Iyov blasphemed (he said this about
(d) Answer #2 (Abaye): Iyov said this about the Satan.
1. Tana'im argued about this - R. Eliezer said like
Rava, R. Yehoshua said like Abaye.
(e) (Rava): "Al Datecha Lo Ersha v'Ein mi'Yadcha Matzil" -
Iyov sought to exempt the whole world from judgment, by
saying that there is no free choice;
1. Just as Hash-m created Tahor animals and Tamei
animals, he created Tzadikim and Resha'im, a person
cannot change the way he was created!
(f) Question: How did his friends respond?
(g) Answer: Indeed Hash-m created the evil inclination, but
he also created the Torah to enable people to overcome
(h) (Rava): "Birkas Oved Alai Tavo" - Iyov would steal
orphans' fields, improve them and return them;
1. "V'Lev Almanah Arnin" - if a widow was unable to
remarry, Iyov would speak on her behalf or say she
was his relative to help her remarry.
(i) (Rav): Iyov's mouth should be filled with dirt for the
following things he said:
1. "Lu Shakol Yishakel (if only we would see who is
justified)" - one speaks to a person thusly, not to
(j) (Rava): Also for "U'Mah Esbonen Al Besulah" - he credits
himself for not looking at other women;
2. "Lo Yesh Beineinu Mochi'ach" - a slave does not
rebuke his master!
1. Avraham did not even look at his own wife - "Hine Na
Yadati Ki Ishah Yefas Mareh At";
(k) (Rava): "Yored She'ol Lo Ya'aleh" - Iyov denied revival
of the dead.
i. This implies that until now, he did not know!
(l) (Rava): "Bi'Sarah Yeshufeni" - he blasphemed by speaking
of Se'arah (a stormy wind), and Hash-m answered by
speaking of Sa'ar (hair);
1. Iyov suggested that a stormy wind caused a
confusion, and the punishment intended for Oyev (the
enemy) was meted to Iyov;
2. "Va'Ya'an Hash-m...Min ha'Se'arah..." - I created so
many hairs on a person's head, each is fed from its
i. If two hairs would come from the same follicle,
the person would be blinded;
3. I did not confuse two hairs - will you say that I
confused Oyev and Iyov?!
4. "Mi Filag la'Shetef Te'alah" - I created clouds,
with so many drops of water; each has its own
i. If two drops would come from the same cavity,
they would make the ground muddy and unable to
5. I did not confuse two drops - will you say that I
confused Oyev and Iyov?!
i. Question: What is the source that "Te'alah"
6. "V'Derech la'Chaziz Kolos" - I created many sounds
(thunder) in the clouds, each has its own channel;
ii. Answer (Rabah bar Shila): "Va'Ya'as Te'alah"
(Eliyahu dug a trench around his Altar).
i. If two sounds would come from the same channel,
they would destroy the world.
7. I did not confuse two sounds - will you say that I
confused Oyev and Iyov?!
8. "Ha'Yadata Es Ledes Ya'a'ei Sala" - a wild goat is
cruel to its young, it ascends a mountain in order
that the baby should fall to its death when born;
3) HAVING DAUGHTERS
9. Hash-m prepares a vulture to catch the baby on its
wings, and return it to the mother.
(m) (Rava): "Iyov Lo b'Da'as Yedaber" - this teaches that a
person is not liable for what he says when in pain.
i. If the vulture would come a moment earlier or
later, the baby would die.
10. I did not miscalculate by a moment - will you say
that I confused Oyev and Iyov?!
11. "Cholel Ayalos Tishmor" - the womb of a hart (wild
goat) is narrow; when it is ready to give birth, I
send a snake to bite it, causing the womb to open
i. If the snake would come a moment earlier or
later, it would die.
12. I did not miscalculate by a moment - will you say
that I confused Oyev and Iyov?!
(n) Question: "Iyov's three friends heard of his
afflictions...va'Yiva'adu Yachdav" - what does this mean?
(o) Answer (Rav Yehudah): They all arrived at the same
1. (Beraisa): Each was 300 Parsos (a Parsa is about 4
kilometers) from each other.
(p) Question: How did they know of his afflictions?
(q) Answer: Each had a crown (another version - tree) with
images of the faces of his three friends;
1. If a face withered, this showed that he was
2. (Rava): If a person does not have friends like
Iyov's, it is better to die.
(a) (R. Yochanan): "Hechel ha'Adam Larov...u'Vanos Yuledu
Lahem" - when a girl is born, Rivya (reproduction) comes
to the world.
4) YISHMAEL REPENTED, ESAV DID NOT
(b) (Reish Lakish): Merivah (quarrels) come to the world.
1. Question (Reish Lakish): According to you, why
didn't Hash-m give Iyov twice as many daughters as
he originally had (just as he doubled everything
(c) A daughter was born to R. Shimon, son of Rebbi; he felt
2. Answer (R. Yochanan): They were not doubled in
number, but they were doubled in beauty (as
evidenced by their names).
i. Yamimah - she was as clear as the Yom (the
ii. Ketziah - she smelled like Ketziah (cassia, an
ingredient of the incense);
iii. (D'vei R. Shila): Keren ha'Puch - she was
(black) like the horn of a Keresh (giraffe?).
iv. Rejection (Rabanan in Eretz Yisrael): This is
v. (Rav Chisda): Rather, she was like garden
1. Rebbi: Rivya came to the world!
(d) Tana'im argue whether having daughters is good.
2. Brk: Rebbi gave empty consolation.
i. (Beraisa): The world needs males and females,
but happy is one who has sons, woe to the one
who has daughters;
ii. The world needs perfumers and tanners, happy is
a perfumer, woe to the tanner (he absorbs a bad
1. (Beraisa - R. Meir): "Va'shem Berach Es Avraham
ba'Kol" - he did not have a daughter;
2. R. Yehudah says, this teaches that he had a
3. Others say, he had a daughter named 'Bakol'.
4. R. Eliezer ha'Moda'i says, he knew how to read the
stars, all the kings of the east and west constantly
came to him for advice.
5. R. Shimon says, he hung a special stone around his
neck, any sick person who looked at it was be cured
i. When Avraham died, Hash-m hung the stone on the
6. Also, he was blessed 'ba'Kol' - that he died before
Esav rebelled, and Yishmael repented in Avraham's
ii. (Abaye): That is why people say, a sickness
lightens when day comes.
(a) Question: What is the source that that Avraham died
before Esav rebelled?
1. Answer #1: The day Esav sold his birthright, Yakov
was cooking lentils to console Yitzchak, for Avraham
died that day.
(b) (R. Yochanan): Esav committed five transgressions that
day: he had relations with a Mekudeshes Na'arah, he
murdered, he denied Hash-m, he denied revival of the
dead, and he cast off the privilege of the firstborn
(i.e. to do the Avodah).
i. Question: Why are lentils fitting for a
ii. Answer #1 (Rabah bar Mari): Just as lentils
have no mouth (crack), also a mourner.
iii. Answer #2: Just as lentils are round, also
mourning is a cycle, everyone will eventually
be mourned over by others.
iv. Question: What is the difference between these
v. Answer: May one console with eggs (they have no
mouth, but are not round like a circle).
(c) Question: What is the source that Yishmael repented in
(d) Answer: As we learn from the following.
1. Question (Ravina): Does 'Geviyah' always refer to a
2. Answer (Rav Chama bar Buzi): Yes.
3. Question (Ravina): But it says this by the
generation of the flood!
4. Answer (Rav Chama): I meant, when it says 'Geviyah'
5. Question: But it says 'Geviyah' and 'Asifah' by
6. Answer (Rava): R. Yochanan taught that Yishmael
repented in Avraham's lifetime.
i. It says "Va'Yikberu Oso Yitzchak v'Yishmael"
(Yitzchak was first).
7. Question: Perhaps the verse lists them in order of
8. Rejection "Va'Yikberu Oso Esav v'Yakov"!
i. Rather, We must say that Yitzchak is listed
first because Yishmael deferred to him, i.e. he