BACKGROUND ON THE DAILY DAF
brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Har Nof
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Bechoros 8
BECHOROS 7-10 - Ari Kornfeld has generously sponsored the Dafyomi
publications for these Dafim for the benefit of Klal Yisrael.
We recommend using the textual changes suggested by the Bach, the Tzon
Kodshim and the parenthetical marginal notes of the Vilna Shas. This section
is devoted to any *OTHER* changes that we feel ought to be made in the
Gemara and Rashi)
 Gemara 8a [line 1]:
The words "*ki*'Venei Adam"
should be "*mi*'Benei Adam" (RASHI and SHITAH MEKUBETZES #1)
 Gemara 8a [line 8]:
The word "Yoled"
should be "Molid" (SHITAH MEKUBETZES)
 Gemara 8a [line 20]:
The word "v'Chozeres"
should be "v'Chazrah"
 Rashi 8a DH Kol:
see SHITAH MEKUBETZES #19
 Rashi 8a DH Ela [at the end of the page]:
The words "7 Pe'amim 12 Chodesh, Hainu *Echad l'Sheva*"
should be "7 Pe'amim 12 Chodesh, Hainu *Al Echad Sheva*"
 Gemara 8b [line 15]:
"Reisha d'Chevsa Amri Lach?"
see SHITAH MEKUBETZES #4
 Gemara 8b [line 19]:
The words "d'Iy Chazu Kar'a *d'Aila*... *ud'Nafka*..."
should be "d'Iy Chazu Kar'a *d'Nafka*... *ud'Aila*..." (RASHASH)
 Gemara 8b [line 20]:
"Katli Lehu l'Gava'i, Afcha l'Sandelei"
Rashi (DH Afchei) did not have these words in his texts (RASHASH)
 Gemara 8b [line 42]:
The words "*Aisu* Budya"
should be "*Aisi* Budya"
 Gemara 8b [line 44]:
"Kol Chad v'Chad"
see SHITAH MEKUBETZES #17
 Rashi 8b DH mi'Gava'i:
The words "Bara'i" and "Gava'i" that are found in parentheses in the entire
Dibur are the addition of the Tzon Kodashim and are apparently mistaken.
Exactly the opposite is true (RASHASH)
The words "O Echad Yotzei"
should be "O Achar she'Yatza"
 Rashi 8b DH Afchei:
The words "v'Dimu she'Shnei Bnei Adam Hen, v'Echad Nichnas v'Echad Yotzeh"
should be "v'Dimu she'Shnei Bnei Adam Hen, v'Echad Nichnas v'Yatzah"
(That is, they thought that a second person stepped on the threshhold,
besides Rebbi Yehoshua ben Chananya, and that person both entered and
exited -- M. Kornfeld, see INSIGHTS)
1) [line 2] BENEI YAMA - (O.F. sereine) mermaids, sirens. See Insights.
2a) [line 4] AVAZ - domestic goose
b) [line 4] AVAZ BAR - wild goose
3) [line 7] SHE'ZACHRUSO MIBA'CHUTZ - that its male organ is on the outside
of its body
4) [line 15] KINAH SHEL TARNEGOLIN - the nest of hay upon which a hen lays
5) [line 28] LUZ - hazel tree (RASHI); almond tree (TOSFOS)
6) [line 30] TUT - berry
7) [line 36] NAMER - leopard
8) [line 36] BARDELAS - (O.F. puteis) hyena, martin or mariput
9) [line 37] PIL - elephant
10) [line 37] KOF - (O.F. singe) ape
11) [line 37] KIPOF - (O.F. merkaze) a type of tailed monkey
12) [line 38] BENOS SHU'ACH - a species of inferior white figs, the flowers
of which develop into fruits over a 3-year period
13) [line 38] EF'EH - viper, adder
14) [line 42] MUCHSASIM - a type of Benos Shu'ach
15) [line 7] KELALAH HU, KELALAH SHADI ILAVEI - it was said as a curse, and
thus he placed on him the greatest possible curse
16) [line 9] SABEI D'VEI ATUNA - the Elders (sages) of the Academy of
Athens; this was most probably one of the famous academies of Athens,
founded in the days of Plato and Aristotle hundred of years earlier. Even
after Rome conquered Greece, these academies maintained uninterrupted
activity until their closure by the edicts of the Emperor Justinian in 529
C.E. (-from "The Juggler and the King," quoting "The History of the Later
17) [line 9] ARBE'INHU - mated them
18) [line 10] KAMASHMESHEI SHEMUSHEI - they copulated
19) [line 11] ZACHINHU V'AISINHU LI - outwit them (in an argument) and bring
them to me
20) [line 13] BISTARKEI - chairs (RASHI); cushions (ARUCH)
21) [line 15] REISHACH LI'ZEVUNEI - do you have a head for sale? (lit. is
your head for sale?)
22) [line 16] IY BA'IS D'ISHAVKACH - if you want me to leave you alone
23) [line 16] SAGI, ACHAVI LI - go, and show me
24) [line 17] D'MECHAVI - that shows
25) [line 17] DAREI KERICHA D'KANYA - carry a bundle of reeds
26) [line 18] K'MAN D'KA MISPACH - like someone who is resting
27) [line 18] DARBENA'EI - guardsmen (RASHI); bran-flour, which was spread
over the entranceway (RABEINU GERSHOM)
28) [line 19] DE'IY CHAZU KAR'A D'AILA - that if they see a footprint headed
29) [line 19] AFCHAH L'SANDALEI - he turned his sandal around
30) [line 20] YENUKEI MIL'EIL - the young sages were sitting in the upper
31) [line 20] D'ANAN KASHINAN TEFEI, V'INHU DARDEKEI - we are older and they
32) [line 22] LECHAYEI - alright, fine
33) [line 24] SICHTA - peg
34) [line 24] DATZAH L'SATA'EI - he stuck (thrust) it into the lower part of
35) [line 25] D'OZIF V'TARAF - that loaned money and then had to seize the
borrower's property (when he defaulted)
36) [line 26] L'AGMA - to the pond
37) [line 26] KATAF KAMA TUNA - he cut the first bundle of reeds
38) [line 27] AD D'ISRAMI INISH, MADLI LEI - until someone came along and
helped him to lift [them all]
39) [line 27] MILEI DI'CHEDI - words of nonsense, lies
40) [line 28] KUDNISA - a female mule
41) [line 28] HAVAH TALI LEI - there was hanging
42) [line 29] D'MASIK B'VEI ABA - that he claims from his father's estate
43) [line 30] KI SARYA - when it spoils
44) [line 31] B'SILTA D'KUDNISA - with the afterbirth of a mule
45) [line 33] LIVNEI V'TINA - bricks and mortar
46) [line 34] METZI'ASA D'ALMA - the midpoint of the world
47) [line 34] AISEI ASHLEI U'MASHCHU - bring ropes and measure
48) [line 35] BEIRA B'DAVRA - a well in the field
49) [line 35] AFSHILU LI CHAVLEI ME'PA'AREI - make me a rope from bran
50) [line 36] CHAYTEI - sew it up
51) [line 36] KERUCHI LI MINEI GARDEI - unravel some threads from it
52) [line 38] MISHRA D'SAKINEI - a furrow of swords
53) [line 39] D'ZAGSA UCHMEI - of a black chicken
54) [line 41] RETZUTZAH - an unhatched chick
55) [line 42] MANA D'LO SHAVI CHAVILEI - a utensil not worth the damage it
56) [line 43] AISU MARA SISRUHA - bring a hoe or a pickax and break open the
57) [line 45] AMAR LEI L'SIPUNA "SHARI SEFINEICH" - he said to the captain
of the ship "unfasten the ship, let us travel!"
58) [line 45] SHAKAL AFAR ME'AFRAIHU - he took dirt from their land