POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
Prepared by Rabbi P. Feldman
of Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Chulin 7
CHULIN 7 (7 Shevat) - dedicated by Danny & Ramona Schwartz, l'Iluy Nishmat
Yochanan Shabsai ben Yair, Z"L, whose Yahrzeit is 7 Shevat.
5) THE PROOF THAT BEIS SHE'AN IS NOT IN ERETZ YISRAEL
6) R. PINCHAS BEN YA'IR
1. Answer (Rebbi): You must say, his ancestors left him
room to aggrandize himself - also, my ancestors left
room for me!
(ii) Question (Yehudah, son of R. Shimon Ben Pazi): Can you say
that Beis She'an is not part of Eretz Yisrael?!
2. This teaches, if a Chacham says an innovative law,
we do not Mezi'ach (separate him from his teaching);
some say, we do not Mazni'ach (despise) his
teaching; some say, we do not Mazchi'ach (attribute
it to haughtiness).
1. "Menasheh did not disposess (the Kana'anim living
in) Beis She'an"!
(iii) Answer: R. Shimon ben Elyakim taught, the nation that left
Bavel (and returned to Eretz Yisrael, in the days of Ezra)
refrained from sanctifying many cities that were conquered by
the nation that left Mitzrayim (i.e. in the days of Yehoshua);
1. The sanctification by Yehoshua was temporary (it
ended with the first exile); that of Ezra was
(iv) Question (R. Yirmeyah): R. Meir only ate a leaf - even if
Beis She'an was part of Eretz Yisrael, one need not tithe
before a casual eating!
2. They refrained from sanctifying many cities, so the
poor could receive the tithe of the poor from this
land in Shemitah.
(v) Answer (R. Zeira): He ate from a bundle of vegetables.
1. (Mishnah): Vegetables normally bundled, once they
are bundled one cannot eat them before taking
(vi) Question (R. Yirmeyah): Perhaps R. Meir forgot to tithe it!
(vii) Rejection (R. Zeira): Hash-m does not allow a pitfall to
come even through animals of Tzadikim, all the more so through
(viii) Question (R. Yirmeyah): Perhaps he designated that the
tithes should take effect on produce he had elsewhere!
(ix) Answer (R. Zeira): A Chaver is not suspected of that, he
always separates the tithes near the food being tithed.
(x) Question (R. Yirmeyah): Perhaps he mentally declared the
tithes to take effect on part of the vegetable, and ate
the other part!
(xi) Answer (R. Zeira): A great man testified about this, surely
he gave all the pertinent factors so we do not learn the wrong
law from it!
(i) R. Pinchas ben Ya'ir was going to redeem captives. He
came upon a river and asked it to split.
1. The river: We both go/flow to do the will of our
Maker. You are doubtful if you will succeed; I will
(ii) They arrived at an inn; the innkeeper put barley before R.
Pinchas ben Ya'ir's donkey; it would not eat.
2. R. Pinchas ben Ya'ir: If you do not split, I will
decree that water will never flow in you!
3. The river split for him.
4. R. Pinchas ben Ya'ir: There is a man with me
carrying wheat for Matzos - this is also a Mitzvah -
split for him also!
5. The river also split for the second man.
6. R. Pinchas ben Ya'ir: There is a man that was
travelling with us - it is improper that we should
7. The river also split for the man accompanying them.
8. (Rav Yosef): R. Pinchas ben Ya'ir is greater than
Moshe and Yisrael (when they left Mitzrayim) - the
water only split once for them, but it split 3 times
for R. Pinchas ben Ya'ir!
9. Objection: Perhaps here also, it only split once (he
merely requested that they should also be able to
pass through safely)!
10. Correction: Rather, R. Pinchas ben Ya'ir is as
great as Moshe and Yisrael.
7) THE MERIT OF "TZADIKIM"
1. He sifted the barley; it would not eat. He picked
out stary matter mixed in; it would not eat.
(iii) Question: Is it really obligatory to tithe food for
2. R. Pinchas ben Ya'ir: Perhaps you didn't tithe it!
3. They tithed it, and the donkey ate.
4. R. Pinchas ben Ya'ir: This poor animal goes to do
the will of Hash-m, and you give it Tevel?!
1. (Mishnah): One who buys Demai for planting, for
animals, flour for tanning, oil for lighting or
&anointing vessels - there is no need to tithe it.
(iv) Answer: R. Yochanan taught, this only applies if it was
initially bought for these purposes - but if it was initially
bought for human consumption, and later he reconsidered, they
must be tithed.
1. Support (Beraisa): One who buys food to eat, and
later decides to feed it to an animal, he must tithe
(v) Rebbi heard that R. Pinchas ben Ya'ir was coming; he went
out to greet him, and offered to give him to eat.
1. R. Pinchas ben Ya'ir: I consent! Don't think that I
vowed not to eat from Yisrael - Yisrael are
(vi) When he returned, as he entered Rebbi's premises he saw
à. I usually do not eat from others, for some people that
offer want to give, but do not have the means;
2. But you, Rebbi, are sincere and have the means! I am
rushed now, but I will eat by you on my way back.
á. Others have the means, but do not really want to give
"Do not eat from a stingy person ... he tells
you to eat, but is insincere."
1. R. Pinchas ben Ya'ir: I cannot eat by someone that
keeps the angel of death (damagers) in his home!
2. Rebbi heard this; he rushed to apologize - 'I will
3. R. Pinchas ben Ya'ir: "Do not put a stumbling block
before the blind" (whoever buys from you will
4. Rebbi: I will declare them ownerless!
5. R. Pinchas ben Ya'ir: Then they will damage even
6. Rebbi: I will cut off their hooves, so they cannot
7. R. Pinchas ben Ya'ir: You may not cause pain to
8. Rebbi: I will kill them!
9. R. Pinchas ben Ya'ir: That would be a waste of
money, it is forbidden!
10. Rebbi kept trying to get him to agree to eat; a
mountain grew between them.
11. Rebbi: If Hash-m does this Tzadik's will (that he
should not eat by others) thusly in his lifetime -
how much the more so, after his death!
(i) (R. Chama bar Chanina): Hash-m does the will of Tzadikim
after their death more than in their lifetime.
1. "They were burying a man...they cast him into
Elisha's grave; the man revived and got up in his
(ii) Question (Rav Papa): Perhaps he did not revive in Elisha's
merit, but rather to fulfill the blessing of Eliyahu - "Twice
the spirit of Hash-m that was on &me, should be on you".
(iii) Answer (Abaye): If so, the man would have lived longer -
but a Beraisa teaches, he did not even reach his house.
(iv) Question: If so, when did Elisha revive another person, to
fulfill the blessing?
(v) Answer (R. Yochanan): He cured Na'aman's Tzara'as - a
leper&Metzorah is considered as dead - "Do not let our
sister be as a corpse."
(vi) (R. Yehoshua ben Levi): White mules are called Yemim,
because fear of them (Eimasam) is on people.
1. (R. Chanina ): No one ever asked me about a wound
from a white mule, and survived.
(vii) (R. Chanina ): "There is nothing other than Hash-m" - even
2. Objection: But we see, people survive such wounds!
3. Correction (R. Chanina): No one ever asked me about
a wound from a white mule, and the wound healed.
4. Objection: But we see, such wounds heal!
5. Answer: Not when the &end of the mule's feet are
white; R. Chanina spoke of such mules.
1. A woman was trying to weigh the dirt under R.
Chanina 's feet - he let her, because the verse says
that witchcraft will not work.
(viii) Question: But R. Yochanan taught, witchcraft is called
Keshafim, for it weakens the Heavenly & (MaCHchiSHim FaMalya)!
(ix) Answer: R. Chanina is different - because his merit is so
great, it cannot affect him.
(x) (R. Chanina ): A person does not stub his finger, unless
this was decreed above - "The steps of man are prepared
by Hash-m"; "A man does not understand his way".
1. (R. Elazar): The blood that comes from a man
stubbing his finger atones as the blood of a
(xi) R. Pinchas ben Ya'ir never blessed on bread that was not
his; from the day he matured, he never enjoyed a meal from his
2. (Rava): This is when he stubs his right thumb,
before it healed from the last time he stubbed it,
when he was on his way to do a Mitzvah.