BACKGROUND ON THE DAILY DAF
brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Har Nof
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous dafEruvin 6
ERUVIN 6-11 - sponsored by a generous grant from an anonymous donor. Kollel Iyun Hadaf is indebted to him for his encouragement and support and prays that Hashem will repay him in kind.
1) [line 1] B'ESER - ten Amos wide
2) [line 1] B'ARBA'AH - four Tefachim wide
3) [line 4] KEREN ZAVIS - at the corner of the walls
4) [line 7] DAMCHARYA - a community in Bavel
4) [line 8] RAV, BIK'AH MATZA V'GADAR BAH GEDER - (lit. Rav found a plain of
open fields and fenced off an area within it) Rav acted in this way only as
a precaution because the residents of Damcharya were unlearned
5) [line 11] K'MEFULASH - like a Mavoy (without a bend) which is open on
both ends to Reshus ha'Rabim
6) [line 16] BAK'EI BAH RABIM - the public from Reshus ha'Rabim "break
through" the Mavoy, using it as a shortcut
7) [line 20] TZURAS HA'PESACH (The Shape of an Entryway)
(a) Certain Halachos, such as the creation of a Reshus ha'Yachid on Shabbos,
require the presence of Mechitzos. In the absence of physical Mechitzos, or
if there is too broad a breach in a Mechitzah, a Tzuras ha'Pesach may be
employed to take the place of a solid wall.
(b) A Tzuras ha'Pesach consists of a primitive doorframe: "One vertical rod
on either side, with a horizontal rod lying on top of them" (Eruvin 11b).
The area inside of the Tzuras ha'Pesach is considered to be a doorway,
rather than a breach, and it therefore takes the place of solid wall.
(c) There are a number of conditions that must be fulfilled in order for the
Tzuras ha'Pesach to be valid (see Insights to Eruvin 11b, 16b).
8) [line 9] IBULEI - gateways
9) [line 23] D'TIMAN AD PALGAIHU B'AFRA - that are half-buried in dirt
10) [line 25] MEGUFOS - almost completely closed
11) [line 26] PANYUHA L'AFRAIHU - remove the dirt from them
12) [line 29] RAMEI ALEI - they placed upon it [the stringent rulings of
both Rav *and* Shmuel]