BACKGROUND ON THE DAILY DAF
brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Har Nof
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous dafEruvin 33
ERUVIN 31-35 - have been dedicated by Mrs. Rita Grunberger
of Queens, N.Y., in loving memory of her late husband, Yitzchok
Yakov ben Eliyahu Grunberger. Mr Grunberger helped many
people quietly in an unassuming manner and is sorely missed by
all who knew him. Yahrzeit: 10 Sivan.
1) [line 1] IKARO - [at the base of] its trunk
2) [line 2] D'HADAR ZAKIF - it (the branch of the tree) afterwards goes
3) [line 2] MAISI LAH DERECH ALAV - he may climb up the tree to bring down
4) [line 13] A'HAI - with regard to which [part of the Beraisa did Chachamim
make their statement]?
5) [line 14] TZEDADIN - (lit. sides) one-step-removed use of a tree, such as
the use of a basket that is hanging from a tree limb
*6*) [line 16] KI NASNO B'KALKALAH, MAI HEVI - that is, even in the Kalkalah
it is considered to be in a Reshus ha'Yachid. Since the Kalkalah is adjacent
to Reshus ha'Yachid, it is called "Chorei Reshus ha'Yachid" and treated like
7) [line 2] CHOKEKIN L'HASHLIM (Excavating to complete [a required
(a) Chokekin l'Hashlim is a Halachic device by which a small space may be
judged to be larger if there is sufficient volume in the surrounding walls
to provide the extra size.
(b) For example, the Gemara (Eruvin 11b) records an argument between Rebbi
Meir and Chachamim as to whether we apply Chokekin l'Hashlim in a situation
where an archway's opening is too small to require a Mezuzah (i.e., it is
not four Tefachim wide for a height of ten Tefachim), but the walls
surrounding the archway are thick. If they are thick enough that had they
been excavated, the doorway could be made 4 Tefachim wide for a height of
ten Tefachim, Rebbi Meir asserts that the doorway must have a Mezuzah.
(c) Chokekin l'Hashlim is only applied to *part* of an opening, not to the
entire opening. For example, in the above situation Rebbi Meir applies
Chokekin l'Hashlim only when the lower three Tefachim of the doorway are
already four Tefachim wide, but the before it reaches a height of ten
Tefachim the doorway gets narrower. Chokekin can *complete* the doorway by
making the top as if it, too, were four Tefachim wide, although it really is
less than that.
8) [line 13] TERASKAL - a basket
9) [line 15] HADRAN MECHITZASA - the extended walls of the basket (which
reach from the bottom of the basket to the ground) encircle it (the pole).
10) [line 20] U'MACHSHICH ALAV - he (his Shali'ach) stays there with it