POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
Prepared by P. Feldman
of Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Kesuvos 6
KESUVOS 6-9 - have been anonymously dedicated by a unique Ohev Torah and
Marbitz Torah living in Ramat Beit Shemesh, Israel.
1) ARE FIRST RELATIONS PERMITTED ON SHABBOS?
(a) In the house of Rav, they said that Rav permitted this,
and Shmuel prohibited it.
(b) In Nehardai, they said that Rav prohibited it, and Shmuel
(c) (Rav Nachman Bar Yitzchak): A way to remember this - each
place is lenient on themselves (each follows its teacher,
and says that its teacher perm111itted it).
(d) Question: Does Rav really permit this?
1. Rav Simi Bar Chizkiyah cited Rav to say that one may
not stuff a piece of cloth to seal a barrel
(apparently, Rav holds as R. Yehudah. who prohibits
something unintended (in this case, squeezing the
(e) Answer: Stuffing the cloth will definitely lead to
1. Abaye and Rava say that R. Shimon admits in a Psik
Reisha (a case when the unintended result will
(f) Question: Rav Chiya Bar Ashi said that Rav rules as R.
Yehudah, and Rav Chanan Bar Ami said that Shmuel holds as
1. Rav Chiya Bar Avin also learned this way.
(g) Answer: Rav truly holds as R. Yehudah.
1. According to the view that the blood is stored, he
will hold that he ruins the opening.
(h) Question (Rav Chisda - Mishnah): A girl who was married
below the age at which one expects to see (menstrual
blood): Beis Shamai says that blood seen during relations
the first 4 nights is virginal blood, and she remains
2. According to the view that the blood is connected,
he will hold that the wound is destructive.
1. Beis Hilel says that this applies until the wound
2. If she was married above this age, Beis Shamai says
that this applies the first night; Beis Hilel says,
until Saturday night, 4 nights.
3. (Summation of question): Doesn't this come to teach
that they may have relations Shabbos night, even if
they did not relations before?
(i) Answer (Rava): No, they may have relations any night
(j) Question (Abaye): But it says, until Saturday night, 4
(k) (Retraction - Rava): Rather, we answer that in the
Mishnah, they had relations before Shabbos.
(l) Question: If so, what do the words "until Saturday night"
(m) Answer: That they may have relations on Shabbos.
1. (Shmuel): One may enter a narrow opening on Shabbos,
even though he might make pebbles fall.
(n) Question (Rav Yosef): A Chasan is exempt from Krias Shma
the first night, until Saturday night if he has not had
1. Isn't this because he is distracted because he
wants to have relations?
(o) Answer#1 (Abaye): No, he is troubled that he has not had
1. Question (Rava): Is distress really an exemption
from Krias Shma?
(p) Answer#2 (Rava): The Tana'im argue whether first
relations are allowed on Shabbos (this Tana says they are
permitted; Shmuel holds as the other Tana).
2. If so, one whose ship sank, is he also exempt?
3. If you will say yes - this opposes Rav, who said
that a mourner is obliged to keep all Torah
Mitzvahs, except for Tefilin, since they are
referred to as "glory".
(q) (Beraisa#1): If he did not have relations on the 1st
night, he is exempt (from Krias Shma) even on the 2nd; if
he did not have relations on the 2nd night, he is exempt
even on the 3rd (which is Shabbos).
(r) (Beraisa#2): He is exempt the 1st 2 nights, and obligated
on the 3rd.
(s) Rebuttal (Abaye): The authors of both Beraisas agree that
relations are forbidden - they argue whether distress is
(t) (Rashi explains that the following is according to Rava):
These 2 Tana'im argue as the following Tana'im.
(u) (Beraisa): One who marries a virgin may not have first
relations on Shabbos; Chachamim permit it.
1. Question: Who are the Chachamim that permit it?
(v) Question (Rava Bar Rav Chanan): If most men are skilled,
why (are first relations done with) Shushbinin (people to
ensure that no one will lie about the presence of
virginal blood) and a cloth?
2. Answer (Rava): R. Shimon, who permits something
unintended (in our case, a wound or making an
3. Question (Abaye): But R. Shimon admits that a Psik
Reisha is forbidden!
4. Answer (Rava): The Beraisa does not deal with
Babylonians, that are unskilled in Hatiyah
(tilting); it deals with those skilled in Hatiyah
(for them, it is not a Psik Reisha).
5. Question: If they are skilled, why are they
6. Answer: Unskilled men are distracted.
7. Question: Only skilled men should be permitted!
8. Answer: Most men are skilled.
(w) Answer (Abaye): Perhaps he will find blood and dispose of
(x) Question (Rav Ami): One who opens a boil on Shabbos, if
his intention is to make a re-usable opening, he is
liable; if he only wants to remove fluid, he is exempt.