POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
Prepared by P. Feldman
of Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Kesuvos 50
(a) If letter of the law says that the son need not feed him
- we understand this.
2) WHEN TO TEACH CHILDREN TORAH
1. If the law says the son must feed him -why was
coercion needed (Rashi - why was the man was so
(b) (R. Ilai): In Usha, it was enacted that one should not
give more than a fifth of his income to Tzedakah, lest he
come to need to take from people.
1. Version #1: There was a case of one who wanted to
give more; his colleague, R. Yeshevav, did not allow
(c) (Rav Nachman): We learn from "Tithe I will tithe it".
2. Version #2: R. Yeshevav wanted to give more; his
colleague, R. Akiva, did not allow him.
(d) Question: The 2nd tithe (which is on the 90% remaining
after the 1st tithe) is less than a tenth - in all, less
than a fifth is given!
(e) Answer (Rav Ashi): "Tithe I will tithe it" - the 2nd
tithe is as the 1st.
(f) (Rav Simi Bar Ashi): These teachings of R. Ilai are in
descending order (of the number of Amora'im he quoted).
1. A way to remember the order - 'children wrote and
(a) (R. Yitzchak): In Usha, it was enacted that a man should
be gentle with a son that does not want to learn until
age 12; from then on, he should whip him and deprive him
3) FEEDING THE DAUGHTERS
(b) Question: But Rav said, Do not accept to teach a child
below 6; after 6, stuff him (with Torah) as an ox!
(c) Answer #1: Yes, stuff him with Torah - but do not whip or
hunger him until 12.
(d) Answer #2: 6 is the age to afflict a son that will not
learn Chumash; 12 is the age for one that will not learn
1. (Abaye): My surrogate mother told me, 6 is the age
to learn Chumash, 10 to learn Mishnah, 13 to fast
the entire day (of Yom Kipur); for a girl, 12.
(e) Version #1 (Rav Katina): One who starts teaching his
child before 6, will run but not succeed (to cure him).
2. (Abaye): My surrogate mother told me, a boy that is
bitten by a scorpion on the day he turns 6 will die.
3. Question: What is the cure?
4. Answer: Take bile of a white Dayah bird; anoint him
with it, and give him some to drink with beer.
5. (Abaye): My surrogate mother told me, a boy that is
stung by a bee on the day he turns 1 will die.
6. Question: What is the cure?
7. Answer: Put moss of a date tree in water; anoint him
with it, and give him some to drink.
(f) Version #2: His peers will run but not succeed (to attain
his level of learning).
1. Resolution #1: Both are true; he will be weak and
(g) (R. Yosi Bar Chanina): In Usha, they enacted that a woman
who sells her Nichsei Melug (property she brought into
the marriage), when she dies, her husband takes the
property from the buyers.
2. Resolution #2: If a sickly child starts learning
before 6, he will never be cured; if he is healthy,
he will be learned.
(h) R. Yosi Bar Yitzchak heard that R. Yosi Bar Chanina said
that law; he learned this 40 times, until it was
perfectly solid by him.
(i) "Happy is the one who guards justice, and constantly does
(j) Question: Is it possible to constantly be doing Tzedakah?
(k) Answer #1(Our teachers in Yavneh): This is one who feeds
his children when they are minors.
(l) Answer #2 (R. Shmuel Bar Nachmani): This is one who
raises orphans in his home and marries them off.
(m) "Wealth in his house; his Tzedakah stands forever".
1. Rav Huna and Rav Chisda: One said, this refers to
one who learns and teaches Torah; the other said,
this is one who writes Seforim (Tanach) and lends
them to others.
(n) "And you will see children to your sons; Shalom upon
1. Explanation #1: There will be no need for Yibum or
2. Explanation #2(R. Shmuel Bar Nachmani): There will
be Shalom among the judges of Yisrael - there will
be no fights over inheritance.
(a) (Mishnah): R. Elazar Ben Azaryah expounded ...
(b) (Rav Hamnuna): Just as sons only inherit land, also
daughters are only fed from land.
(c) Question: (Everyone): One who dies without land - his
sons do not inherit?!
(d) Rav Yosef: Perhaps the reference was to sons inheriting
Kesuvas Benin Dichrin (boys inherit the dowry of their
(e) (Rav Hamnuna): You are great, therefore you understood
what I meant.
(f) (R. Chiya Bar Yosef): Rav *Zan* (feeds) from wheat
d'Aliyah (of above).
(g) Possibility #1: Was this Parnasah (dowry) - and 'of
above' refers to the higher estimation of how much the
father would have given, as Shmuel?
1. (Shmuel): We estimate the generosity of the father
to determine how much of a dowry to give his
(h) Possibility #2: Or, is it literally feeding - 'of above',
based on nice teachings of the attic.
1. (R. Yitzchak Bar Yosef): In the attic, they enacted
that daughters should also be fed from Metaltelim
(property other than land).
(i) A case occurred, and Shmuel ruled that orphan girls be
fed from Metaltelim.
1. Suggestion: Literally, he fed them, as R. Yitzchak
Bar Yosef's teaching.
(j) A case occurred in Nehardai; Rav Chana Bar Bizni fed the
girls from Metaltelim.
2. Rejection: No, it was Parnasah, as he holds.
i. (Shmuel): We estimate the generosity of the
father to determine how much of a dowry to give
his daughters (and therefore, even from
1. (Rav Nachman): Return them, or I will confiscate
(k) Rav Ami and Rav Asi thought to feed from Metaltelim.
1. R. Yakov Bar Idi: Something which R. Yochanan and
Reish Lakish did not do - you will do?!
(l) R. Elazar thought to feed from Metaltelim.
1. R. Shimon Ben Elyakim: I know this is not really the
law, you are just doing this from compassion - but
perhaps students will see and permanently establish
that this is the law!
(m) Rav Yosef ruled that daughters be fed from dates on
(n) Question (Abaye): Would a creditor collect from them?
(o) Answer (Rav Yosef): I referred to dates ready to be put
on mattresses (i.e. they are ripe, but still attached to