|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 2] L'RABOS KOL BA'ALEI KORBAN LI'SEMICHAH - to teach that if a Korban is brought by partners, each one performs Semichah (see Background to Menachos 92:3)
2) [line 6] IPCHA'I? - Shall I reverse [the ruling of the Beraisa that I was taught, to read "Yoresh Somech, Yoresh Meimer"]?
3a) [line 10] TECHILAS HEKDESH - (lit. the beginning of the consecration)
Temurah (which is the beginning of the consecration of the replacement
animal -- RASHI to Erchin 2a; see Background to Menachos 79:21b)
4) [line 13] "HAMER YAMIR" - ["Do not transfer or exchange it (an animal that has been designated as a Korban) for another animal, neither a good animal for a bad one nor a bad one for a good one.] If you do exchange an animal [of Kodesh] for another animal [that is not], both the original animal and the one given in exchange for it, will be Kodesh.]" (Vayikra 27:10)
5) [line 25] MAH SOFENU L'RABOS ES HA'ISHAH - that is, How will we be able to include a woman [in the Halachos of Temurah]?
6a) [line 28] CHERESH - a deaf mute
b) [line 28] SHOTEH - (lit. a fool) a person who is mad or deranged
(a) A person is classified as a Shoteh if he regularly, because of madness,
destroys or loses that which is given to him, sleeps in a cemetery, goes out
alone at night or tears his clothes (Chagigah 3b). According to the RAMBAM
(Hilchos Edus 9:9), a person is a Shoteh if he regularly exhibits any form
of irrational behavior.
c) [line 28] KATAN - a minor (a boy under the age of 13 and a girl under the age of 12)
7) [line 29] SUMA - a blind person
8) [line 29] EVED (EVED KENA'ANI)
9) [line 30] SEMICHAH SHEYAREI MITZVAH - Semichah (see Background to Menachos 92:3) is one of the dispensable, inessential "remnants" of a Mitzvah (if it is not performed, it does not prevent atonement)
10) [line 31] TEKEF LI'SEMICHAH SHECHITAH - the animal has to be slaughtered immediately after the Semichah
11) [line 33] LAV BENEI DE'AH NINHU - they are not people with intelligence
13a) [line 36] ASYA SEMICHAH SEMICHAH MI'ZIKNEI EDAH - it is learned from a
Gezeirah Shavah (see Background to Zevachim 103:30) between the two words
"v'Samach" and "v'Samchu" in the verses dealing with (a) Semichah for all
Korbanos (Vayikra 1:4) and (b) Semichah of the elders of the community for
the Par He'elem Davar Shel Tzibur (Vayikra 4:15). The blind are disqualified
to be elders of the community (judges of the Sanhedrin) (Sanhedrin 17a,
14) [line 1] DANIN YACHID MI'YACHID - we learn individual [Korbanos] from individual [Korbanos]
15) [line 3] DANIN MIDI DI'CHESIV BEI SEMICHAH B'GUFEI MI'MIDI DI'CHESIV BEI SEMICHAH B'GUFEI - we learn a topic that contains [a word related to the word] "Semichah" in the body [of the verses that deal with the topic] from another topic that contains [a word related to the word] "Semichah" in the body [of the verses that deal with that topic]
16) [line 6] "VA'YAKREV ES HA'OLAH VA'YA'ASEHA KA'MISHPAT." - "And he brought the burnt offering near, and he offered it according to the law [of the Olas Nedavah, as specified in Vayikra 1:1-13]." (Vayikra 9:16)
17) [line 9] YADO YADO YADO - (these three teachings are learned from one word "Yado" -- Vayikra 1:4)
18) [line 12] D'LAV BAR MITZVOS - who is not obligated in [all of the] Mitzvos (see above, entry #8)
19) [line 13] SHELUCHO SHEL ADAM KEMOSO - [the act performed by] the Shali'ach of a person is like [an act performed by the person] himself. (Sources for this law are cited in Kidushin 41.)
20) [line 15] ISHTO DECHE'GUFEI DAMI - (lit. one's wife is like his own body) the relationship of a husband and wife is so strong that they are considered a single entity
21) [line 17] "V'SAMACH YADO AL ROSH HA'OLAH, V'NIRTZAH LO L'CHAPER ALAV." - "And he shall press his hand upon the head of the burnt offering, and it (the Korban) shall become acceptable for him, to make atonement for him." (Vayikra 1:4)
22) [line 18] "KI HA'DAM HU BA'NEFESH YECHAPER" - "[For the life of the flesh is in the blood; and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls;] for it is the blood that makes an atonement for the soul." (Vayikra 17:11) - This verse refers to the Avodah of Zerikas ha'Dam, in which the blood of Korbanos was either cast onto the sides of the Mizbe'ach or applied to the sides or the Keranos (horns) of the Mizbe'ach. This was the main service that accomplished the atonement for which HaSh-m commanded that the sacrifices be offered.
23a) [line 19] SHE'IM ASA'AH LI'SEMICHAH SHEYAREI MITZVAH - (lit. if he
treated Semichah as the dispensable, inessential remnants of a Mitzvah) if
he did not do Semichah
24) [line 21] "LI'SENUFAH L'CHAPER" - "[one yearling sheep as a Korban Asham, with which] to perform Tenufah, to atone [for him]" (Vayikra 14:21)
25a) [line 27] TZAVAR - [the front of] the neck, the place where the animal
is slaughtered (RASHI)
28a) [line 35] ABA BIRA'AH - an Amora of Eretz Yisrael, for whom an
approximate time when he lived is difficult to determine.
29) [line 37] MATLIS - a cloth
31) [line 40] "V'SAMACH AHARON ES SHTEI YADAV" - "And Aharon shall lean both of his hands" (Vayikra 16:21)
32) [line 41] BANAH AV (BINYAN AV)
33) [line 46] LAMAH LI L'MICHTAV YADAV YADAV? - why, then, does the Torah ever need to write the word "Yadav" in any of the places that it is written?
34) [line 47] AKSHI LEI ESRIM V'ARBA YADAV - he asked him about (a) many instances where the word "Yadav" is written (OR HA'YASHAR, cited by YOSEF DA'AS); (b) twenty-four instances of words similar to "Yadav": ten words *Yadav* and fourteen words *Yedeihem* (see YOSEF DA'AS, citing RAV MOSHE BETZALEL, son of the SEFAS EMES)
35a) [line 47] "YADAV TEVI'ENAH" - "His (the owner's) hands shall bring it
(the portion of the Korban Shelamim that will be offered to HaSh-m)"
36) [line 48] ISHTIK - he was silent
39) [line 52] TENUFAH
40a) [line 53] ECHAD MENIF L'CHOL HA'CHAVERIM - one of the owners performs
Tenufah for all of the rest of them
41a) [last line] KORBENOS HA'YACHID - private Korbanos