|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 3] HALCHAH REGEL RISHON - (a) when she went for the first festival after her wedding (RASHI); (b) the first time she went for a festival after her wedding (the beginning of TOSFOS DH Kan)
2) [line 5] YASOM - an orphan who is less than thirteen years old (YERUSAHLMI, RAMBAM Korban Pesach 2:11
3) [line 6] APOTROPSIN - legal guardians
5) [line 13] REDUFAH LEILECH - anxious to go (a) [to complain] (RASHI); (b) [to share the good news] (RAMBAM, TOSFOS)
6a) [line 14] "[ANI CHOMAH V'SHADAI KA'MIGDALOS;] AZ HAYISI V'EINAV
K'MOTZ'EIS SHALOM" - "[I am a wall and my breasts are like towers;] then
(therefore) I am in His eyes like one who found peace (like a bride who was
found perfect in her father-in-law's house)." (Shir ha'Shirim 8:10)
*7*) [line 16] U'REDUFAH LEILECH L'HAGID SHIVCHAH - (According to Rashi, this is a description of the Kalah that is *not* Redufah in the Mishnah.)
8) [line 18] ISHI/BA'ALI - (a) my husband after Nisu'in/my husband after Kidushin (MAHARSHAL, RASHI to Kesuvos 71b); (b) my bridegroom/my master or provider (RASHI to Hoshea 2:18)
*9*) [line 20] ACHOS LANU KETANAH - (This is mentioned here because it is another Derash of *Rebbi Yochanan*, on the same chapter in *Shir ha'Shirim* as a verse he cited earlier on the Daf. Afterwards, the Gemara continues to discuss verses that seem to deal with the beauty of maidens, but actually are referring to Yir'as Shamayim -- see Rashi DH b'Yemei.)
10) [line 21] EILAM - Media (Bereishis Rabah 42:7)
11) [line 27] "ASHER BANENU KI'NTI'IM MEGUDALIM BI'N'UREIHEM; BENOSEINI CH'ZAVIYOS MECHUTAVOS TAVNIS HEICHAL" - "For our sons are like saplings nurtured from their youth; our daughters are like cornerstones crafted in palatial form." (Tehilim 144:12)
12) [line 31] SHE'OGDOS PISCHEIHEN L'VA'ALEIHEN - (a) they are faithful to their husbands (lit. they keep themselves tied up, closed [to others]); (b) Alternate Derashah in RASHI (see Eruvin 21b), SHE'MAGIDOS PISCHEIHEN L'VA'ALEIHEN - they tell their husbands when they see Dam Nidah
13) [line 32] "... U'MAL'U KA'MIZRAK K'ZAVIYOS MIZBE'ACH" - "... and they shall be filled like bowls, and like the corners of the Mizbe'ach." (Zecharyah 9:15) - Rashi explains that even though the Jewish wives become filled with passion, they do not consider adultery; rather, they remain faithful to their husbands.
14) [line 33] "MEZAVEINU MELE'IM, MEFIKIM MI'ZAN EL ZAN; TZONENU MA'ALIFOS MERUBAVOS B'CHUTZOSEINU" - "Our storehouses overflow to their very corners (lit. our corners are full), providing [produce] from harvest to harvest; our sheep increase by the thousands, by the myriads in our open spaces." (Tehilim 144:13) - The metaphor of Mezaveinu (our storehouses) depicts a hollow object that may be filled, as in the previous entry (MAHARSHA).
*15*) [line 36] "DEVAR HASH-M ASHER HAYAH EL HOSHE'A BEN BE'ERI; BIMEI UZIYAH YOSAM ACHAZ YECHITZKIYAH MALCHEI YEHUDAH U'VIMEI YARAVAM BEN YOASH MELECH YISRAEL" (Hoshea 1:1) - (This is cited here because it is again *Rebbi Yochanan* who provides the Derash on a verse from *Hoshe'a* -- see also Rashi DH b'Yemei for an added reason.)
16) [line 42] BENEI CHANUNECHA HEM - the sons whom you [constantly] grace
18) [line 1] DIBAH RA'AH - of ill repute
21) [line 7] "... VA'TAHAR VA'TELED LO BEN. VA'YOMER HASH-M ELAV, KERA SHEMO YIZRE'EL KI OD ME'AT U'FAKAD'IT ES DEMEI YIZRE'EL AL BEIS YEHU V'HISHBATI MI'MALCHUS BEIS YISRA'EL" - "... and she conceived, and bore him a son. And HaSh-m said to him, 'Call his name Yizre'el, for in a little while I will visit the blood of Yizre'el upon the house of Yehu, and will bring the kingdom of the house of Yisrael to an end.'" (Hoshea 1:3-4) - Yehu was instructed to kill the house of King Achav, since they caused Benei Yisrael to serve the Avodah Zarah of Ba'al. When Yehu's descendants themselves proceeded to serve the Ba'al, the murder of Achav and his household was considered as if Yehu took the lives of the innocent.
22) [line 10] "... KI NASO ESA LAHEM" - "... to forgive them [at all]." (Hoshea 1:6)
23) [line 16] BENEI BECHUNAI - the sons of my tested ones (my tried servants)
24) [line 18] "HASH-M KANANI REISHIS DARKO; KEDEM MIF'ALAV ME'AZ" - "HaSh-m created me (lit. bought me) as the beginning of His way, the first of His works of old." (Mishlei 8:22)
25) [line 28] KIPE'ACH - buried; i.e. outlived
27) [line 33] "KI CHO AMAR AMOS BA'CHEREV YAMUS YARAV'AM V'YISRAEL GALO YIGLEH ME'AL ADMASO." - "'For Amos said, "Yarav'am shall die by the sword, and Yisrael shll be led away into exile out of their own land."'" (Amos 7:11)
28) [line 41] "[MI'KOL MECHATZETZIM BEIN MASH'ABIM, SHAM YESANU TZIDKOS HASH-M,] TZIDKOS PIRZONO B'YISRAEL, [AZ YARDU LASHE'ARIM AM HASH-M.]" - "[Louder that the voice of the archers, in the places of drawing water, there let them recite the righteous acts of HaSh-m,] the righteous acts toward the inhabitants of His villages in Yisrael, [when the people of HaSh- m went down o the gates.]" (Shoftim 5:11) - By rearranging the letters of the word Pirzono, the Gemara interprets that this verse suggests that Benei Yisrael will be spread (Mefuzarim) among the nations.
29) [line 42] ISINCHU GABAN - you live among us
34) [line 50] L'MAT'ASAN - to their garden where they were planted; i.e. to