|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 2] "U'RVU YESEIRAH ..." - "and still more greatness was added to me." (Daniel 4:33) - In order to show Nevuchadnetzar that the world is ruled by HaSh-m and that his glory was given to him by HaSh-m, it was decreed that he live like a beast in the fields for seven years. He ate grass like oxen, his hair grew like eagles' feathers and his nails grew like birds' claws. After seven years he lifted up his eyes to heaven and blessed, praised and honored HaSh-m, and his reason and understanding returned to him. He returned to his former glory as king of the known world, receiving added dominion over the wild beasts of the fields.
2) [line 8] EIN MACHASHICHIN AL HA'TECHUM - it is forbidden to walk to the farthest limit of the Techum Shabbos and stay there until the end of Shabbos, with intention to leave the Techum when Shabbos departs for the sake of doing an activity that on Shabbos is prohibited
3) [line 14] AMIRAH L'NACHRI SHEVUS
4) [line 17] HA'NIR'EH SHE'TA'AMOD IMI LA'EREV - do you think that you can meet me this evening?
*5*) [line 35] ASUR LIKROS KERI'AS SHEMA KENEGDO - One may not read Shema before him, but one *may* think about Torah matters before a non-Jew -- or even a Jew -- that is not dressed.
6a) [line 45] MEFAKCHIN PIKU'ACH NEFESH - we may discuss on Shabbos matters
that may lead to life-saving situations
7a) [line 48] TARTEYA'OS - theaters b) [line 48] KIRKESA'OS - circuses, places of amusement c) [line 49] BASILKA'OS - basilacas, a building with colonnades used as a meeting place for merchants and exchange, and as a forum
9a) [line 54] CHESHBONOS SHEL MELACH - (a) the word "Melach" comes from the
root of the word that means "counsel" - calculations that do not concern
the person who is making them, i.e. it would cost such and such to build
such a house, when he has no intention of building; (b) alt. SHEL MALACH
(Mah Lach, lit. "what are they to you?") calculations of no practical
purpose. (RASHI) (c) Others suggest, SHEL MEILECH, or counting his *guests*
11) [line 8] D'IKA AGRA D'AGIDA GABEI - he still has to pay the wage of the
17) [line 40] AVDINAN TZORCHIN - we do any Melachos that we have to