REVIEW QUESTIONS ON GEMARA AND RASHI
prepared by Rabbi Eliezer Chrysler
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Jerusalem
Previous dafShabbos 77
(a) What does Rava prove from our Mishnah, which writes 'ha'Motzi Yayin,
Kedei Mezigas Kos', the Beraisa (which adds) 'Kedei Mezigas Kos Yafeh', and
the Seifa 've'She'ar Kol ha'Mashkin, bi'Revi'is? What piece of vital
information does *he* add?
(b) How do we know that the Rova Revi'is in our Sugya does not mean a
quarter of a Lug, which will become a complete Lug once he has added water?
(c) What does Abaye ask on Rava from the Mishnah in Nidah?
(d) He also asks 'Mayim be'Kad, u'Mitztarfin'?
What is the Kashya?
(a) How does Rava reject Abaye's first Kashya in two different ways?
(b) How does he reject Abaye's second Kashya?
(a) How much congealed wine will one have to carry on Shabbos in order to
be Chayav - according to Rebbi Nasan?
What does the Gemara prove from ...
(b) 'Dam Neveilah, Beis Shamai Metaharin'. 'Dam Neveilah, Beis Shamai
What does this mean - according to Rashi's second
(c) According to Rebbi Yossi b'Rebbi Yehudah, even Beis Hillel only renders
Dam Neveilah Tamei, when it comprises a Revi'is.
What is the reason for
(d) Rav Yosef equates Rebbi Yossi b'Rebbi Yehudah with Rebbi Nasan in the
On what grounds does Abaye refute Rav Yosef's equation?
1. ... the Pasuk in Bereishis "Hagmi'ini Na, Me'at Mayim mi'Kadech'?
Answers to questions
2. ... the Pasuk in Vayikra "ve'Nigra me'Erkecha"?
3. ... the Pasuk in Yechezkel "Arazim Lo Omemuhu"?
4. ... the Pasuk in Yeshayah "ve'Otzem Einav me'Re'os be'Ra"?
The Shiur for honey is to place on a wound.
What are the two ways of
understanding this Shiur?
(a) Why did Hashem create ...
Rav Yehudah told Rebbi Zeira some fascinating facts (see Agados Maharsha,
who explains this Gemara Al Pi Remez - that the interpretation of this
Gemara is not to be taken at its surface value).
1. ... the snail?
Note: These are not the only use of these creatures, nor are they even
necessarily the main purpose of their creation - see Agados Maharsha.
2. ... the fly?
3. ... the gnat?
4. ... the snake?
5. ... the spider?
(b) A lion is afraid of the noisy mosquito, and the elephant of the gnat.
What are the following afraid of:
1. A scorpion?
(c) What do we learn from the Pasuk in Amos "ha'Mavlig Shod Al Az"?
2. An eagle?
3. The Livyasan?
1. Why do the goats go at the head of the flock?
8)The following is a list of acronyms:
2. Why are the private parts of the sheep covered by a fat-tail, whereas those of the goat are not?
3. Why is the tail of the camel so short, and that of the cow so long?
4. Why are the antenna of the grasshopper (or of the ant) so soft?
5. What is unique about the chicken's biological make-up?
(a) Why is ...
1. ... a gate called 'Dasha'?
(b) Why is ...
2. ... a ladder called 'Darga'?
3. ... sharp condiments called 'Maskulisa'?
4. ... a house called 'Beisa'?
5. ... a tiny house called 'Biksa'?
1. ... a large block of wood used for yeast called 'Kufsa'?
(c) Why is ...
2. ... bricks called 'Livni'?
3. ... a reed fence called 'Hutza'?
4. ... a small barrel called 'Chatzva'?
5. ... a small earthenware jar called 'Kuza'?
1. ... a myrtle-twig called 'Shutisa'?
(d) Why is ...
2. ... a large water-bowl called 'Mashichla'?
3. ... a small pretty water-bowl called a 'Mashchilta'?
4. ... a mortar called 'Asisa'?
5. ... a pessel called a 'Buchna'?
1. ... a top garment called 'Levusha'?
(e) Why is ...
2. ... a plain over-coat called 'Gelima'?
3. ... a smart coat called 'Gulsa'?
4. ... a bed called 'Purya'?
5. ... a dried out water-pit called 'Bor Zinka'?
1. ... the head-scarf worn by Talmidei-Chachamim called 'Sudra'?
2. ... a king's palace called 'Apadna'?
(a) About which three creatures do Chazal say that the older they get, the
stronger they become?
(b) the Shiur for carrying oil is enough to anoint a small limb.
de'Bei Rebbi Yanai interpret this statement?
(c) Why does the Beraisa, which says 'Shemen Kedei Lasuch Ever Katan
ve'Katan ben Yomo', appear to contradict the statement of de'Bei Rebbi
(d) How do we explain the Beraisa, to reconcile it with the statement of
de'Bei Rebbi Yanai?
(a) It is possible that Rebbi Shimon ben Elazar and Rebbi Nasan, who argue
in another Beraisa, argue over the statement of de'Bei Rebbi Yanai.
Answers to questions
else might we interpret their Machlokes?
(b) How does the Gemara, quoting another Beraisa of Rebbi Shimon ben