REVIEW QUESTIONS ON GEMARA AND RASHI
prepared by Rabbi Eliezer Chrysler
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Jerusalem
Previous dafShabbos 156
(a) 'Tanu Rabbanan, Ein Govlin es ha'Kali; ve'Yesh Omrim, Govlin'. What is
(b) Who is the Yesh Omrin?
(c) What sort of Shinuy is nevertheless needed?
(a) The Tana Kama agrees that one may stir Shasis (a flour made with Kali
(b) Here too, a Shinuy is necessary. What sort of Shinuy?
(c) We learnt above in a Beraisa that, according to all opinions, one is
not permitted to mix the bran on Shabbos.
So how did Rav Huna bar Chiya,
the son of Rebbi Yirmiyah bar Aba, vindicate the baker of the Bei Nasha,
who mixed the food before feeding the ox?
(d) What does he advise one to to do if the bran does not mix sufficiently
when the Shinuy of Shesi va'Erev is employed?
(a) Rav Huna bar Chiya told the baker: 'Govlin ve'Lo Mesafin, u'de'Lo Lakit
be'Lishnei, Mehalketin Lei ...'. What is the meaning of ...
(b) Rebbi Chiya forbade mixing, but permitted Piruk.
- ... 've'Lo Mesafin'?
- ... 'Mehalketin'?
What is Piruk?
(c) He forbade however, to take from in front of *three* animals to put in
front of *two*.
Why is this Asur, and will it also be forbidden to take
from two animals to place in front of one?
(d) About what did Rebbi protest vehemently, but in vain?
(a) Rebbi Yehoshua ben Levi wrote in his ledger that anyone born on Sunday
would be 'a man of one kind and no other'.
What did he mean?
(b) Why, if he was born ..
(c) What did Rebbi Yehoshua ben Levi have to say about somebody who is born
on Shabbos? What will he nevertheless be called?
- ... on Monday, would he be a man with a temper?
- ... on Tuesday, would he be both wealthy and have a tendency to immorality?
- ... on Wednesday, would he be clever and enlighten others?
- ... on Thursday, would he be a kind man?
- ... on Friday, would he run after Mitzvos?
(d) On what grounds did Rebbi Chanina disagree with Rebbi Yehoshua ben
Levi, and according to him, what *is* the criterion that determines a
(a) That someone born under the Mazal Chamah (Sun) will enlighten others
with his knowledge is easily understood.
But why will ...
(b) Why will someone born under ...
- ... he not steal, and fail if he tries to?
- ... all his secrets be revealed?
(c) Why will the plans of someone born under Shabsai (Saturn) always fail
(others say that the thoughts of those who plan against him will fail)?
- ... Mazel Nogah (Venus) be wealthy and have a tendency to behave immorally?
- ... Mazel Kochav (Mercury) be a person who enlightens and is wise?
- ... Mazel Levanah (Moon) be the exact antithesis of one who is born under Mazel Chamah?
- And why will he also bear suffering, and build and demolish, demolish and build?
(d) What will be the tendency of Csomeone born under Mazel Tzedek
(a) What will be the tendencies of someone who is born under Mazel Ma'adim
Answers to questions
(b) What are the four (possible) practical ramifications of this statement?
(c) How did the statement effect Rabah, who was born under Mazel Ma'adim?
(d) According to Rebbi Chanina, all this cannot be changed. Rebbi Yochanan
disagrees. He holds 'Ein Mazel le'Yisrael'.
- What does this mean?
- What is his source for this?
- What did Avraham mean when he said "ve'Hinei ben Beisi Yoresh Osi" (Lech-Lecha)?
- What did Hashem mean when he told Avraham that he would move Tzedek from the West to the East?
(a) How do we know from an episode with Shmuel and Avalat that Shmuel too,
holds 'Ein Mazel le'Yisrael'?
(b) What happened to the man whom they were discussing?
(c) What had he done to deserve it, and in which Pasuk in Mishlei is this
(d) How can we also learn that 'Ein Mazel le'Yisrael' ...
- ... from Rebbi Akiva's daughter? What happened to her on her wedding-day?
- ... from Rav Nachman bar Yitzchak? What happened to him?
(a) 'Mechatchin es ha'Delu'in Lifnei ha'Beheimah, ve'es ha'Neveilah Lifnei
Shmuel however, rules like Rebbi Shimon, and so too, does Ze'iri. How does
Ze'iri explain the Mishnah in Beitzah 'Beheimah she'Meisah, Lo Yezizenah
What is the common Chidush in both of these cases?
(b) What does Rebbi Yehudah hold?
(c) We know that Rav rules like Rebbi Yehudah in our Mishnah (who holds of
Muktzah), because he forbade Karchi de'Zuzi.
What are 'Karchi de'Zuzi'?
(d) We know that Levi too, rules like Rebbi Yehudah, because of the way he
would examine animals that were Safek Tereifah on Shabbos. How (or rather
where) did he used to examine them?
Answers to questions