POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
by Rabbi Ephraim Becker
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous dafShekalim 17
1) HALACHAH 2: PROSTRATIONS AND THE GATES OF THE MIKDASH
(a) The locations of the 13 prostrations listed in the previous
2) THE NUMBER OF GATES
(b) These were in appreciation of the 13 gates.
(c) The locations and names of the (named) gates, and the
sources of those names.
(a) Our Mishnah follows the opinion that there were 13 gates.
3) THE FUTURE WATERS FLOWING FROM THE MIKDASH
(b) The Rabanan hold that there were seven.
(c) Question: Where were the 13 prostrations according to
(d) Answer: To honor the 13 [closed] breaches in the Soreg.
1. The Greeks made these breaches.
2. The Hasmoneans closed them.
(a) From the Pasuk in Zecharyah (14:8) we learn the increasing
strength of that water.
4) THE DESTRUCTION OF THE MIKDASH
1. It originates as a trickle in the Kodeshei Kodoshim.
(b) The Pesukim in Yechezkel (47:1-5) give another description
of the waters flowing from the Mikdash.
2. It will increment to a rushing river.
1. The Pasuk indicates the flow at each thousand-Amah
(c) The Pasuk the Zecharyah (13:1) speaks of the water which
will go out for the house of Dovid and the residents of
Yerushalayim for Chatas (Parah Adumah) and Nidah (Mikveh).
2. The Pasuk in Yeshaya (25:11) defines "Sachu" as
3. Alternately Sachu means refers to waters which are
spoken about (Sichah).
1. Question: Could not the rest of the People use these
(d) The Pasuk in Yechezkel (47:8) speaks of these waters.
2. Answer #1: The waters from Beis Dovid until the
residences of Yerushalayim will be Kosher for Nidah and
Chatas; from there out only for Nidah.
3. Answer #2: For that first distance they are Kosher for
everything; from there out they do not gather.
1. They will join the water bodies of Israel.
(e) Question: Why do the waters need to meet the Sea of Teveryah
and the Sea of Sibuchah (sweet-water bodies).
2. Mutzaim means the waters went out twice (during the
generations of Enosh and the Palagah, to different
distances, as the opinions indicate).
3. The last opinion is derived from the Pasuk in Iyov
(38:11) "Ad Poh Savoh v'Lo Sosif u'Fo Yashis b'Geon
(i) Poh refers to Ako.
(ii) u'Fo refers to Yafo.
(f) Answer: The waters add to their fish, and to the species of
fish in them (as indicated by the incident of R. Shimon b.
(g) Question: The Pasuk (Yechezkel 47:11) indicates the waters
will become sweet, while Pasuk 8 indicates they will not!?
(h) Answer: The latter is a place name.
(i) The words "laChadashav Yivaker" in Pasuk 12 speak of the
ripening of the fruit.
1. As we know it, grain ripens in six months, while fruit
trees produce their fruit in 12 months.
(j) The words "V'Aleyhu l'Serufah" speak of the leaves of the
fruit trees growing from the springs of the Mikdash.
2. In the future the grain will ripen in a month; fruit in
3. Based on Yoel (2:23) the grain in 15 days; the fruit in
4. Question: But LaChadashav is in the plural?!
5. Answer: The plural refers to *every* month.
1. One will suck the leaves for his nourishment.
2. Its medicinal value is to release the "mouth."
3. There are four opinions regarding which "mouth" is
(a) When Nevuchadnezar came to depose Yehoyachin...
(b) Yehoyachin offered back the keys of the Mikdash...
1. He threw them and they did not come back down.
2. Alternately, a sort of hand took them.
(c) When the officers of Yehudah saw, they fell from their roofs
5) HALACHAH 3: THIRTEEN SHULCHANOS
(a) They are listed with their materials and their locations.
6) LECHEM ON SILVER OR MARBLE
(b) The steps of the Lechem are followed from table to table.
(a) Question: The Bereisa says that the Lechem was on silver,
while our Mishnah says marble!?
7) IN THE ABSENCE OF NEW LECHEM
(b) Answer: Our Mishnah holds they were not of silver since it
generates heat (causing spoilage to the Lechem).
(c) Question: But the warm freshness of the bread all week was
(d) Answer: We do not discuss (rely on) the miracles.
(e) The Bereisa holds silver, and not marble because the latter
introduces cold (and the Lechem needed to be warm).
(f) Question: But the miracle...
(g) Answer: We do not discuss the miracles.
(a) Question: If there was no new Lechem, would we leave the
Lechem of the present week on the Shulchanos for the next?
8) THE SHULCHANOS FITTING INTO THE MIKDASH OF SHLOMO
(b) Answer: The Pasuk teaches that the Lechem must *always* be
there (even post date).
(a) Shlomo made 10 Shulchanos (Divrei HaYamim II 4:8), five on
one side; five on the other.
(b) Question: If their lengths were to the width of the Heichal,
they would be in the North and South (and not only in the
North, where the Shulchan must be)?!
(c) Answer: They were not in a row, rather five to the right of
Moshe's Shulchan and five to the left.
1. Only the Shulchan of Moshe was set with Lechem (based
on Melachim I 7:48).
(d) The Bereisa teaches a dispute regarding their positions.
2. (R. Yosi) They were all set [alternately] (based on
Divrei HaYamim II 4:19).
1. If they were East to West then they are all (properly)
in the North.
2. But if they were North to South...?!