POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
by Rabbi Ephraim Becker
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous dafShekalim 18
1) LOCATIONS AND DIMENSIONS IN THE MIKDASH
(a) The Bereisa teaches the location of the Shulchan.
2) THE TEN MENOROS OF SHLOMO
1. It was within the 20 Amos closest to the Kodesh
(b) The Bereisa goes on to locate the Menorah and the Mizbeach.
2. It was set away from the North wall 2.5 Amos.
1. The Menorah paralleled the Shulchan near the South
2. The Mizbeach was in the center, set away (to the East)
from the direct line between the Menorah and the
(a) Question: If they were placed five to the North and five to
the South, then only the Southern ones would be Kosher!?
3) USING UP THE GOLD
(b) Answer: It means five to the right and five to the left of
the Menorah of Moshe.
(c) There is the same dispute as regarding the Shulchanos as to
which was used- only the one of Moshe or all (rotating).
(a) Michlos Zahav- they used up Shlomo's gold.
4) HALACHAH 4: THE THIRTEEN SHOFAROS
(b) The gold was exceedingly refined (losing any impurities).
(c) Question: But the Bereisa teaches that the Menorah of Moshe
could not be reduced by refining!?
(d) Answer: Indeed, once refined, it could not be further
(a) The 13 Shofaros were labeled as indicated.
5) THE RATIONALE FOR R. YEHUDAH
(b) The New Shekalim were of the current year.
(c) One who had not brought one year, brought the next into the
Shofar marked Old Shekalim.
(d) (R. Yehudah) Kinin are (large) birds while Gozelei Olah are
(small) Bnei Yonah [all are Nidvei Olos- not obligations].
(e) (Chachamim) The Kinin Shofar received all Kinin (Chatas and
Olah) while the one marked Gozelei Olah received only Olos.
(f) The Mishnah lists the minimum amounts for various
unspecified donations (wood, Levonah, and gold).
(g) From the six Shofaros marked Nedavah they brought Olos (the
meat went on the Mizbeach and the hides to the Kohanim).
1. This was derived from the Pasuk by Yehoyadah.
2. This resolves Two seemingly contradictory Pesukim.
(a) There was no Shofar for obligatory Kinin.
(b) We are afraid lest one of the donors died (invalidating the
(c) Question: But the Bereisa says that the woman puts the money
into the Shofaros and can be then assured that she is
(d) Answer: R. Yehudah is speaking where we know that one of the
6) THE GIZAR OF WOOD
(e) Question: But Bereirah should resolve the matter!?
(f) Answer: R. Yehudah does not hold of Bereirah.
(a) Question: Does our Mishnah only obligate him to bring two if
the donor was not specific, but if he specified one Gizar
that would suffice?
7) THE AMOUNT OF WOOD IN A GIZAR
(b) Answer: The Mishnah in Yoma indicates that each Gizar is a
separate offering (a separate Kohen brought each).
(a) (R. Yehoshua b. Levy) The Gizar was an Amah thick (using
"smiling" Amos), by an Amah length (stinting Amah).
8) LEVONAH NOT LESS THAN A KOMETZ
(b) (R. Ami) It was like a Tortani.
(c) It was a stinting Amah long to allow room for the Kohanim on
(a) The source is the word Azkarah found by a donation of
Levonah and by the Lechem HaPanim (both are a Kometz).
9) GOLD IS DONATED NOT LESS THAN A DINAR
(b) Question: But the Lechem HaPanim was doubled (two Kometzim)?
1. Answer (R. Ila): [According to our text] The Kometz of
the Lechem HaPanim was a separate offering (and the
Minchas Choteh as well as the donated Levonah are both
learned from it).
(c) The GR"A understands the answer differently:
2. (R. Yosah) From R. Ila we learn that the donated
Levonah must be the Kometz of a large Kohen.
3. (R. Chizkiyah citing R. Yirmiyah) An average person
(since the donor is free to choose the Kohen).
1. Answer (R. Ila): The donated Kometz is derived not from
Lechem HaPanim, but from other Menachos.
2. (R. Yosah) The Kometz must match the hand of the Kohen.
3. (R. Chizkiyah citing R. Yirmiyah) It may match the hand
of the donor.
(a) The Dinar is required if the donor mentioned a coin.
10) SHOFAROS FOR NEDAVAH
(b) If he did not specify a coin, then a small fork is enough.
(a) There are four opinions as to the basis for six Shofaros.
Hadran Alach Sheloshah Asar
1. Chizkiyah - six Batei Avos.
(b) Question: The Pasuk in Divrei Hayamim II (24:14) implies
that the donations were used for Kelei Shares, whereas the
Pasuk in Melachim II (12:14) implies not so?
2. Bar Padyah - six types of animals for Korbanos.
3. Shmuel - six types of Korbanos.
4. R. Yochanan - to accommodate the large quantity of
(c) Answer (R. Shmuel b. Nachmani): There were two collections
made by Yehoyada.
(d) Answer (R. Yishmael): It was one donation, with the surplus
used for Kelei Shares as per the condition of Beis Din.
(e) Question: The Pasuk refers to two collection boxes?!
(f) Answer: It was one collection but a separate box was placed
outside the Azarah for those who were Tamei.