|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 1] DUMAH - a woman who is the subject of the gossip of her town (with regard to her alleged illicit relations)
2) [line 6] V'SISBERA?! NOSEI LECHATCHILAH?! - Do you really think so?! Can he marry her in the first place?!
3) [line 12] EIN ISHAH MIS'ABERES ELA SAMUCH L'VESTAH - a woman only becomes pregnant from relations that take place one day before she menstruates
4) [line 12] VESTAH (VESES)
1. VESES HA'GUF - Bleeding that occurs along with sneezing, body-aches, etc. (Mishnah Nidah 63a)(c) Each of the above Vestos can be expressed in a number of ways (a "sub-Veses"):
1. L'DILUGIN (Incremental) - Where the Haflagah, calendar date or day of the week *increases incrementally*, e.g. Haflagos of 11, 12 and 13 days.(d) There are two differences between a Veses Kavu'a and a Veses she'Eino Kavu'a:
1. When a woman has a Veses Kavu'a, she is not Metamei me'Es l'Es (i.e. she does not become Teme'ah *retroactively* for 24 hours), whereas if she has a Veses she'Eino Kavu'a, some Tana'im rule that she is Teme'ah retroactively me'Es l'Es.5) [line 14] LO MANTAR LAH - he does not watch her
6) [line 30] SUMA - a blind person
7a) [last line] CHIGERES - a lame woman
b) [last line] GIDEMES - a woman whose hands are cut off
8) [line 3] ILEMES - a woman who cannot speak
9) [line 13] BO VA'YOM - on that day [that the Chachamim appointed Rebbi Elazar ben Azaryah to be the Nasi in place of Raban Gamliel, as explained in Berachos 28a.] Raban Gamliel's policy was to limit entrance to the Beis ha'Midrash only to a scholar who was "Tocho k'Varo," i.e. whose inside was known to match his outside (as a result of which many great Talmidei Chachamim were refused entry). When Rebbi Elazar ben Azaryah became the Nasi, he removed the guard from the Beis ha'Midrash, with the dramatic result that so many Talmidim poured in, that four hundred (others say, seven hundred) benches were added. In his opinion, anyone who wished to learn should be entitled to enter. Due to the sudden influx of Talmidim who had previously been barred from entering the Beis ha'Midrash by Raban Gamliel, many issues that had remained obscure were now discussed. Maseches Eduyos was composed on that day. The Talmidei Chachamim all "testified" (Edus = testimony) what they had received from their Rebbes. So powerful was the Divine inspiration that ensued that the entire Maseches is Halachah. Raban Gamliel (in order to prove irrefutably that his actions were l'Shem Shamayim and not, as it may appear, out of arrogance), continued to appear daily in the Beis ha'Midrash, not missing as much as one single day - in spite of his having been deposed!
10) [line 14] "(U'CHLI) [V'CHOL KLI] CHERES ASHER YIPOL MEHEM EL TOCHO; KOL ASHER B'SOCHO YITMA, [V'OSO SISHBORU.]" - "And any earthenware utensil into which they (Sheratzim) will fall; everything [that is a food or drink] that is inside it shall become Tamei and you shall break that utensil." (Vayikra 11:33)
11) [line 17] SHENI / SHELISHI (THE DIFFERENT LEVELS OF TUM'AH)
(c) When one object makes another object Tamei, the second object has a weaker Tum'ah than the first. If something becomes Tamei from an Av, it is called a Rishon l'Tum'ah. A Rishon makes a Sheni l'Tum'ah. (Liquids are an exception to this rule. The Chachamim decreed that liquids should always be a Rishon, even if touched by a Sheni.)
(d) A Sheni L'Tum'ah cannot make Chulin Tamei mid'Oraisa. Even mid'Rabanan, there is no such thing as Shelishi L'Tum'ah with regard to Chulin. Terumah, however, can become a Shelishi L'Tum'ah. (Also, if someone guarded his Chulin from Tum'ah as one normally guards Terumah, it is called "Chulin she'Na'asu Al Taharas Terumah," and can become a Shelishi.) However, Rebbi Akiva in our Mishnah *does* bring a source from the Torah that a Sheni l'Tum'ah can make Chulin Tamei mid'Oraisa as a Shelishi l'Tum'ah. The Halachah follows the former opinion.
(e) Terumah that is a Shelishi l'Tum'ah cannot make other Terumah Tamei. However, it may not be eaten. It is referred to as "Pasul" (invalid) rather than "Tamei." Kodesh (objects associated with the sacrifices) that is touched by a Shelishi l'Tum'ah can become a Revi'i. A Revi'i of Kodesh is also called "Pasul."
13) [line 25] "[U'MIGRESHEI HE'ARIM ASHER TITNU LA'LEVIYIM] MI'KIR HA'IR VA'CHUTZAH ELEF AMAH SAVIV." - "[The open areas that you shall give the Leviyim] shall extend outwards 1000 Amos from the city wall all around." (Bamidbar 35:4)
14) [line 29] MIGRASH - the open spaces outside of the cities of the Leviyim which extend one thousand Amos from the wall of the city
15) [line 30] TECHUM SHABBOS
16) [line 42] "HEN YIKTELENI, LO AYACHEL..." - "Even if He would kill me, I would place my trust in Him..." (Iyov 13:15) - It is also possible to translate this phrase as, "But if He will kill me, I will no longer place my trust in Him"
17) [line 42] V'ADAYIN HA'DAVAR SHAKUL - and the matter (according to this verse) is still unresolved (lit. balances equally) [if he served the Creator out of love or fear]
18) [line 43] "...AD EGVA LO ASIR TUMASI MIMENI." - "...until I die I will not agree with you in saying that I was not perfect [in serving HaSh-m.]" (Iyov 27:5)