|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 13] PESACH (KORBAN PESACH)
2) [line 15] BEN NECHAR - (lit. a stranger) a Nochri or a Jew who does not fulfill the Mitzvos
3) [line 19] YEYASHER KOCHACHA SHE'SHIBARTA - well-done (a phrase of approval and thanks), that you broke them!
4) [line 22] V'LAILAH DEHA'IDNA NAFAK LEI - this day's night has already passed (the night precedes the day)
5) [line 24] D'LO SHARYA SHECHINAH - the Shechinah did not dwell on Mount Sinai
6) [line 39] BECHOR L'NACHALAH
7) [line 46] CHAYIS - slaves have no Halachically recognized lineage
9) [line 54] AD SHE'YICHLU KOL NESHAMOS SHEB'GUF - until all the souls that are in "Guf" will be born (lit. finished). Guf is the chamber in which the souls of all future Jews are kept; alt., Guf refers to the Pargod (Heavenly Curtain) that divides between the Shechinah and the angels (RASHI Yevamos 63b; see also Insights)
10) [line 54] "...KI RU'ACH MI'LEFANAI YA'ATOF, U'NESHAMOS ANI ASISI." - "...because the spirit that is before me, and the souls that I have made, [hold back the redemption.]" (Yeshayah 57:16)
11) [last line] "LA'SHEVES YETZARAH" BA'INAN - it is necessary that he fulfill the verse "la'Sheves Yetzarah" ("He created the world to be inhabited")
12) [line 2] L'HASHLIM - to complete [the grandfather's Mitzvah of Piryah v'Rivyah. For example, when he had only a son and no daughter, and his son has a daughter, this completes the grandfather's Mitzvah.]
13) [line 12] I'AKAR MI'PIRKEI D'RAV HUNA - became sterile from the [long] Derashos of Rav Huna (because he would not leave the Derashah to use the bathroom)
14) [line 16] D'KANIS MINAI - that you acquired through me
17) [line 31] B'FEREK ECHAD - during one short period of time
20) [line 42] "HA'IM EIN EZRASI VI; V'SUSHIYAH NIDECHAH MIMENI?" - "Is not my help in me? And is wisdom driven quite from me?" (Iyov 6:13) - The word "Tushiyah" (wisdom) refers to the Torah.
21) [line 43] "...NEKEIVAH TESOVEV GAVER." - "[How long will you go about, O you faithless daughter? HaSh-m has created a new thing in the earth:] A woman shall court a man." (Yirmeyahu 31:21)
22) [line 43] "V'YADATA KI SHALOM OHALECHA; U'FAKADTA NAVECHA V'LO SECHETA." - "And you shall know that your tent is at peace; and you shall visit your residence and shall miss nothing." (Iyov 5:24) - The "residence" refers to one's wife.
23) [line 46] MISHTOKEKES - desires
25) [line 47] V'CHAMA? ONAH - how much [time is termed "Samuch"]? one 12-hour period of time (RASHI) (RASHI to Pesachim 113b DH Onah writes one night and one day; however see RASHBAM there.)
26) [line 48] HA'MADRICH - one who leads, teaches