POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
Prepared by P. Feldman
of Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Yevamos 80
YEVAMOS 79, 80 - The first two of four Dafim dedicated in honor of
Dr. Charles and Rosalind Neustein, whose retirement to Florida
allows them to spend even more time engaging in Torah study!
1) WHO IS A SERIS?
(a) Question: How do we know that he was a Seris from birth?
2) WHEN DOES A SERIS BECOME AN ADULT?
(b) Answer (Abaye): When he urinates, it does not make an
(c) Question: What causes it?
(d) Answer: His mother baked in the heat of the afternoon,
and drank mixed beer.
1. (Rav Yosef): I had heard my mother say, 'Anyone
stricken from birth' - now I know what she referred
(e) Question: We should be concerned that he got better in
(f) Answer: Since he is a Seris at the beginning and the end,
we are not concerned that he was better in the middle.
(g) Question (Rav Mari - Beraisa): R. Chanina Ben Antigonus
says, we check (a firstborn animal with a blemished eye)
3 times within 80 days.
(h) Answer: We are concerned that 1 limb recovered in
between, but not that the entire body did.
(i) (Mishnah): R. Eliezer says, no, rather ...
(j) Contradiction (Mishnah - Beis Hillel): A 20 year old man
that has not brought 2 hairs - he proves that he is 20,
and he is established as a Seris; he does not do
Chalitzah nor Yibum;
(k) A 20 year old woman that has not brought 2 hairs - she
proves that he is 20, and she is established as an
Ailonis; she does not do Chalitzah nor Yibum;
(l) Beis Shamai says, the age for both of them is 18; R.
Eliezer says, for a man, 20; for a woman, 18, since a
woman matures faster.
(m) Answer #1 (Rami Bar Dikuli): R. Eliezer retracted his
1. Question: Which did he retract?
(n) Answer #2 (R. Elazar): R. Eliezer did not retract - the
Mishnah (of 18 and 20 years) refers to the age at which
they are considered adults to be punished for sins.
2. Answer (Beraisa - R. Eliezer): A Seris Chamah does
Chalitzah, and Chalitzah is done to his wife,
because in Aleksandria, they have a cure for this.
(a) A person ate Chelev between the age of 12 and 18, then
brought signs of being a Seris; later, he brought hairs.
1. (Rav): He becomes an adult retroactively.
(b) (Beraisa): A Seris is not judged as a rebellious son,
because the time to be judged as a rebellious son is
2. (Shmuel): He was a minor when he ate.
3. Question (Rav Yosef): According to Rav, R. Meir
should say that there is a fine for one who rapes or
entices an Ailonis!
4. Answer (Abaye): No, she jumps from being a minor to
a Bogeres, and is never a Na'arah.
5. Rav Yosef: If only such teachings would be said in
(c) the lower beard is completed; an Ailonis is not judged as
an engaged Na'arah, since she goes from being a minor to
(d) (R. Avahu): One with signs of being a Seris or Ailonis is
not treated as an adult until 20; a baby born after 8
months of pregnancy is not considered to be alive until
(e) Question: Can an 8 month baby really live?!
1. (Beraisa): An 8 month baby is as a rock; he may not
be moved on Shabbos, but his mother may bend down to
nurse him, because of danger.
(f) Answer: The case is, his signs are complete.
3) IF A SERIS DOES YIBUM OR CHALITZAH
1. (Beraisa): What is an 8 month baby? One who did not
stay 9 months in the womb; Rebbi says, his signs
demonstrate this - his hair and nails are
(g) Question: There was a case of a woman who gave birth 12
months after her husband went overseas, and Rabah
Tosfa'ah said that the child is Kosher - this is as
Rebbi, who says that a baby may come out late, and unlike
i. If they are complete, we assume that he is a 7
month baby that delayed a month before being
(h) Answer: Since R. Shimon Ben Gamliel also holds this way,
it is like a majority.
1. (Beraisa - R. Shimon Ben Gamliel): Any child that
lives 30 days is viable (i.e. even if he was born in
the 8th month, we say that he was a 7 month baby
that came out late).
(i) (Beraisa): A Seris Chamah is a 20 year old that did not
bring 2 hairs, even if he brings hairs later. The signs
1. He has no beard.
(j) An Ailonis is a 20 year old that did not bring 2 hairs,
even if she brings hairs later. The signs are:
2. His hair is soft.
3. His skin is smooth.
4. R. Shimon Ben Gamliel: His urine does not foam.
5. Some say - when he urinates, it does not make an
6. Some say - his seed is watery.
7. Some say - his urine does not decay.
8. Others say - he bathes in winter, and his body does
not give off steam.
9. R. Shimon Ben Elazar: His voice is stricken, and it
cannot be discerned if he is a man or a woman.
1. She has no breasts.
(k) (Rav Huna): One must have all the signs of a Seris to be
2. Relations are painful for her.
3. R. Shimon Ben Gamliel: She does not have curved hips
4. R. Shimon Ben Elazar: She has a deep voice, and it
cannot be discerned if she is a man or a woman.
(l) (R. Yochanan): Even if he has 1 of them.
1. When he has 2 hairs in the beard, all agree that he
is only a Seris if he has all the signs; they argue
when he lacks 2 hairs in the beard.
(m) Question: But Rabah Bar Avuha said, 'Check Rav Nachman -
if he gives off steam when he bathes, I will marry my
daughter to him' - this was as Rav Huna?
(n) Answer: No, it is even as R. Yochanan - Rav Nachman had a
(a) (Mishnah): A Seris does not do Chalitzah or Yibum; also,
an Ailonis ...
(b) The case of a Seris is taught, similar to an Ailonis.
1. Just as an Ailonis is due to Heaven, also a Seris.
(c) (Mishnah): A Seris that did Chalitzah did not disqualify
2. The end of the Mishnah, taught anonymously, is as R.
Akiva, who says that a Seris Adam does Chalitzah,
not a Seris at the hands of Heaven.
(d) Only a Seris disqualifies a Yevamah through relations -
but if another has relations with her, not!