REVIEW QUESTIONS ON GEMARA AND RASHI
prepared by Rabbi Eliezer Chrysler
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Jerusalem
Previous daf Yevamos 63
YEVAMOS 46-65 - Ari Kornfeld has generously sponsored the Dafyomi
publications for these Dafim for the benefit of Klal Yisrael.
(a) What does Rebbi Elazar learn from the Pasuk ...
(b) What is the alternative interpretation of the two explanations of
- ... "Zachar u'Nekeivah Bera'am Vayikra es Sh'mam Adam" (Bereishis)?
- ... "ha'Shamayim Shamayim la'Hashem, ve'ha'Aretz Nasan li'Vnei Adam" (Tehilim)?
- ... "E'eseh Lo Eizer ke'Negdo"?
(c) How did Eliyahu describe to Rebbi Yossi the manner in which a wife
assists her husband?
(a) And what does Rebbi Elazar learn from the Pasuk ...
(b) What does Rebbi Elazar say about ...
- ... "*Zos ha'Pa'am*, Etzem me'Atzamai u'Vasar mi'B'sari" (Bereishis)?
- ... *"ve'Nivrechu ve'Cha* Kol Mishpechos ha'Adamah" (that Hashem said to Avraham - in Parshas Lech-Lecha)?
- ... "ve'Nivrechu ve'Cha *Kol Mishpechos ha'Adamah*"?
- ... "ve'Nivrechu ve'Cha Kol Goyei ha'Aretz" (that Hashem said to Avraham in Parshas Vayeira)?
(c) What did Rebbi Elazar and other Amora'im have to say about farming?
- ... the ultimate destiny of sailors?
- ... the Torah's use of the word "ve'Yardu" in that connection?
(d) What contrast did Rava strike between a hundred Zuzim invested in
farming and a hundred Zuzim invested in business? Which two woes does he see
as a result of farming?
(a) What did Rav Papa mean when he says that one should rather sow than buy
(even if it is cheap)?
(b) And when he said that it is better to sell before one becomes poor, he
referred to household goods such as mats, but not to fine clothes.
(c) Don't wait for a hole in the wall to widen until you are forced to
replace the bricks, he said, but replace the bricks rather than rebuild the
Why is that?
(d) If one should ...
- ... jump at the opportunity to buy land, how should one choose a wife?
- ... descend a level in searching for a wife, how should one choose a friend?
(a) Why does Hashem bring punishment on the world?
Rebbi Chiya used to bring his wife trinkets in spite of the fact that she
was not a good wife.
(b) To what was Rebbi Chiya referring when he conferred upon Rav the
blessing that Hashem should save him from something that is worse than
(c) What did Rav's wife subsequently used to do? In what way did Chiya his
son outsmart him?
(d) On what basis did Rav forbid him to continue with that practice?
How did Rebbi Chiya explain his motive to Rav?
Answers to questions
(a) What did Rav Yehudah reply to Rav Yitzchak his son, when he asked him
for an example of the Pasuk in Koheles "u'Motzi Ani Mar mi'Maves es
(b) How do we reconcile this with Rav Yehudah himself, who cited his wife as
the epitome of the first wife from whom a man derives satisfaction?
(c) Abaye describes a bad wife as one who showers him with curses and
insults, even as she lays him a nice table (so that, by the time meal-time
arrives, he no longer has an appetite).
How does Rava describe her?
(d) How does Rebbi Chama bar Chanina explain the Pasuk in Mishlei "Matza
Ishah Matza Tov, *ve'Yafek* Ratzon me'Hashem"?
(a) What did the B'nei Eretz Yisrael mean when, at weddings, they would
declare "Matza O Motzei"?
(b) According to Rava, what is the antidote to ...
(c) To what does Rava compare living with a bad wife?
- ... a bad wife?
- ... a bad wife who has a large Kesubah?
(d) How does Rava extrapolate the ...
- ... virtuousness of a good wife, even if "Matza Ishah Matza Tov refers to Torah?
- ... curse of a bad wife, even if "u'Motzi Ani Mar mi'Maves es ha'Ishah" refers to Gehinom?
(a) What is the evil from which one cannot extricate oneself, to which the
Pesukim in Yirmiyah and in Eichah refer?
(b) What did the B'nei Eretz Yisrael mean when they explained the Pasuk in
Eichah to refer to someone whose sustenance depends on his money?
(c) How does Rav Chanan bar Rava Amar Rav interpret the Pasuk ...
(d) According to Rebbi Elazar, this latter Pasuk refers to Tzedokim (who
foul their mouths with blasphemy - Agados Maharsha). The Tana ascribes it to
the Barbarians and the people of Martinians.
- ... in Ki Savo "Banecha u'Venosecha Nesunim el Am Acher"?
- ... in Ha'azinu "be'Goy Naval Ach'iseim"?
What did the people of
Barbaria and Martinai used to do?
(a) Rebbi Yochanan was most distraught when he heard that the Chavri had
come to Bavel.
Why was he so upset? Who were the Chavri anyway?
(b) What set his mind at ease?
(c) They issued three decrees on the B'nei Bavel.
Which sin had the B'nei
Bavel committed to warrant the decree ...
(d) If the dead were not brought to burial, as Yirmiyah ha'Navi describes,
what does he then mean when he continues "ve'Nivchar Maves me'Chayim"?
- ... forbidding them to eat Shechted meat?
- ... forbidding them to use the bathhouses?
- ... dragging their dead from their graves?
(a) Ben Sira extols the virtues of a good wife and advises a man with a bad
wife to divorce her.
What does he write about ...
(b) What does he say about ...
- ... a man with a beautiful wife?
- ... an "Eishes Chein" (of another man)?
- ... an Eishes Chein's husband?
(c) Ben Sira also has some good advice to give about human relationships.
- ... beautiful women in general?
- ... peddlers (of women's perfumes)?
- ... worrying about tomorrow?
What does he say about ...
- ... having an open home?
- ... having many friends who are concerned about one's well-being?
- ... relating one's secrets?
(a) What does Rebbi Asi learn from the Pasuk in Yeshayah "Ki Ru'ach
mi'Lefanai Ya'atof u'Neshamos Ani Asisi"? What does he mean by the 'Guf'?
(b) What does ...
(c) What does ben Azai say about the above juxtapositions?
- ... Rebbi Eliezer learn from the juxtaposition of the Pasuk "Shofech Dam ha'Adam ba'Adam Damo Yishafech" to "ve'Atem P'ru u'Revu"?
- ... Rebbi Ya'akov (or Rebbi Akiva) learn from the juxtaposition of the Pasuk "Ki be'Tzelem Elokim Asah es ha'Adam" to "ve'Atem P'ru u'Revu"?
(d) What was ben Azai's response when they queried him about practicing what
he preached (i.e. why he did not get married and have children)?
(a) What connection does the Tana Kama of the Beraisa make between the Pasuk
in Beha'aloscha "u've'Nuchoh Yomar, Shuvah Hashem Riv'vos Alfei Yisrael"
(which speaks about bringing the Shechinah down to Yisrael) and causing the
Shechinah to depart from Yisrael?
Answers to questions
(b) What does Aba Chanan say in the name of Rebbi Eliezer extrapolate from
the Pasuk (written in connection with Nadav and Avihu's death) in Bamidbar
"u'Vanim Lo Hayu Lahem"?
(c) And what does Acheirim extrapolate from the Pasuk in Toldos "Liheyos
Lecha l'Elokim u'le'Zar'acha Acharecha"?