POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
by Rabbi Ephraim Becker
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous dafYoma 10
1) IDENTIFYING THE NATIONS IN THE PESUKIM
(a) R. Yochanan told Resh Lakish that the Nimshal of the Pasuk
is not as he said (there would not be Shechinah in the
second Mikdash in any case because it was built by the
Persians [from Yefes]).
2) MEZUZAH IN THE MIKDASH
(b) Question: How do we know that the Persians are descended of
(c) Answer: It is a Bereisa identifying Tiras as Persia.
(d) More identifications...
1. Savta and Savtecha (inner and outer regions).
(e) (cited in the name of Rebbi) Rome is destined to fall before
Persia (proof text).
2. Bavel, Erech, Akad, Chalneh.
3. Ashur, Nineveh, Rechovos, Kalach, Resen.
4. The large city...is Nineveh (based on Yonah).
5. Achiman, Sheishai, Talmei, Yilidei Ha'Anak.
(f) Question: How do you know that Tze'irei HaTzon is Persia
(the proof text could also refer to Greece)?
(g) The sage of Eretz Yisrael clarified how it refers to Persia.
(h) (cited in the name of R. Yochanan) Rome is destined to fall
1. This is logically derived from the builders/destroyers
of the first Mikdash.
(i) (Rav) Persia is destined to fall before Rome.
1. Question: Can the builders fall before the destroyers?
(j) Rome must ultimately prevail over the world for nine months
prior to Israel's redemption (proof text).
2. Answer: If the King so decrees.
3. Alternate answer: The Persians also destroyed
synagogues, and the King has so decreed.
(a) Only the Lishkas Parhadrin (the residence of the Kohen
Gadol) must have a Mezuzah.
(b) Question: But other Lishkos (also residences) did not?
(c) Answer: It is a Gezeirah (lest the Kohen Gadol be considered
(d) Question: Why isn't residence enough to obligate?
(e) Answer (Rava): R. Yehudah holds that only year-round
residences are obligated in a Mezuzah.
(f) Question (Abaye): But we find winter/summer homes called
(g) Answer: They are called winter-homes, not simply homes.
(h) Question: But R. Yehudah obligates a *Sukah* in a Mezuzah?
1. There could hardly be a more seasonal dwelling.
2. And if you'll suggest that the obligation is only
3. But he also makes the produce brought directly into the
Sukah subject to Ma'aser (and this we would not do
unless the obligation was d'Oreisa, for fear of
(i) Answer (Abaye): They agree that Sukah is obligated in
Mezuzah during the week of Sukos; they argue about whether
(Chachamim) or not (R. Yehudah) to extend that obligation to
the rest of the year.
(j) Question (Rava): But the Mishnah teaches that the Chachamim
*argue* about Mezuzah during Sukos!?
(k) Answer (Rava): Rather, there is no argument during the year
(exempt) and they only argue during Sukos.
(l) Sukah and Lishkah have separate bases for the argument.
1. [Sukah] R. Yehudah holds that Sukah must be of a
permanent nature; Rabanan hold it must be a temporary
2. [Lishkah] Chachamim hold that an imposed dwelling is
called a dwelling; R. Yehudah holds it is not (and the
obligation for a Mezuzah, as mentioned, is a Gezeirah).