POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
by Rabbi Ephraim Becker
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous dafYoma 12
1) A BEIS HAKENESES AND THE LAWS OF NEGA'IM (cont'd)
(a) Alternate Answer #2: They both do not have an apartment
within; speaks of Krachim (not subject to the laws of
Nega'im), and one of Kefarim (subject to those laws).
2) HOW AND WHEN TO BE MECHANECH THE SUBSTITUTE KOHEN
(b) Question: But the Bereisa implies (in the opinion of R.
Yehudah) that synagogues *are* subject to Tumas Nega'im
(even if they are of Krachim)?!
(c) Answer: R. Yehudah meant all sanctified places.
(d) Question: What is the Machlokes Tana Kama and R. Yehudah?
(e) Answer: Over whether (R. Yehudah) or not (Tana Kama)
Yerushalayim was apportioned to Shevatim.
1. This parallels an earlier Machlokes Tanaim.
(f) Question: But a Bereisa limits the laws of Nega'im to homes
which have highly specified ownership!?
2. The first Bereisa speaks of the parts of the Mikdash
occupying the land of Binyamin and Yehudah, and of the
Pious Binyamin yearning to contribute the land under
the Mizbeach (and being compensated with the Aron).
3. The second Bereisa speaks of Yerushalayim as belonging
to the entire People, and the resultant prohibition on
charging for hospitality there (and the obligations
which Chazal placed on visitors, in return).
(g) Answer: Rather, we should use the first answers.
(a) Question: How can we do the Chinuch for the substitute if
the Pesul occurs after the Tamid Shel Shachar has already
been brought by the first (no special Begadim to put on)?!
(b) Answer: The Avnet.
(c) Question: But what of the opinion that the Avnet which is
worn by the Kohen Gadol on Yom HaKipurim is identical to
that worn year-round by the regular Kohanim?
(d) Answer (Abaye): He puts on all 8 Begadim and turns the flesh
on the fire (an act prohibited to a Zar).
(e) Answer (R. Papa): Doing the Avodah is [sufficient] Chinuch
(as in the Bereisa regarding Keilim after Moshe's time).
3) THE COMPOSITION OF THE AVNET
(a) There is a Machlokes Rebbi and R. Elazar b.R. Shimon whether
the Avnet was Kilayim or only Pishtan.
4) SUBSEQUENT TREATMENT OF THE REPLACEMENT KOHEN GADOL
1. We attempt to adduce that Rebbi holds it is Kilayim.
(b) Ravin taught that the Machlokes was if the Avnet of the
regular Kohen was Kilayim (Rebbi) or Pishtan (R. Elazar).
2. The Bereisa, which must speak on Yom HaKipurim, cites
the Avnet as the only difference between the garments
of the Kohen Gadol and of a regular Kohen.
3. No, the Bereisa could be speaking year-round and is
only drawing contrasts between like-garments of the
Kohen Gadol and the regular Kohen.
1. There was no Machlokes regarding the Avnet of the Kohen
(c) R. Nachman b. Yitzhok cited a supporting Bereisa wherein
Rebbi teaches that the Avnet of the Kohen Gadol on Yom
HaKipurim is unlike the Avnet of the regular Kohen.
2. The Avnet of the Kohen Gadol on Yom HaKipurim was
surely Pishtan, and during the year it was Kilayim.
1. The Bereisa revolves around the word Yilbash.
2. R. Yehudah and R. Dosa argue over its interpretation.
3. Rebbi gives two refutations to R. Dosa (our reason and
a Sevara that an object of higher Kedushah should not
be used for lesser).
4. Yilbash (according to Rebbi) would then teach that the
garments need not be brand new.
5. R. Dosa is consistent with his opinion that the Begadim
of a Kohen Gadol need not be placed in Genizah, but may
only not be used for another Yom HaKipurim.
(a) (R. Meir) Both Kohanim are treated as Kohanim Gedolim.
(b) (R. Yosi) The first is restored to his post, and the second
cannot function as Kohen Gadol nor as a regular Kohen
(citing an incident in support of his view).
1. He cannot be a co-Kohen Gadol for fear of enmity.
(c) Rabah b.b. Chanah (citing R. Yochanan) The Halachah follows
2. He cannot be a regular Kohen out of respect for his
1. R. Yosi also holds that if he *does* function as a
Kohen Gadol, his Avodah is Kesheirah.
2. Here, too, in the name of Rav, the Halachah follows R.