POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
by Rabbi Ephraim Becker
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous dafYoma 65
YOMA 59-88 have been dedicated to the memory of the late Dr. Simcha
Bekelnitzky (Simcha Gedalya ben Shraga Feibush) of Queens N.Y. by his wife
and daughters. Well known in the community for his Chesed and Tzedakah, he
will long be remembered.
1) APPLICATIONS OF R. YOCHANAN (cont'd)
(a) An implication of the Mishnah (which teaches that a Chatas
HaTzibur is not put to death) is that a parallel Chatas
Yachid would, according to Chachamim, be put to death.
2) THE DEATH OF THE SEIR HAMISHTALEACH AND SPILLING THE DAM LASHEM
1. An instance of this can be found according to R.
Yochanan (who says that the Sheini which is pastured is
of the first pair) in accordance with the Din of A. Aba
citing Rav, that such a Chatas Yachid would die.
(b) The Mishnah teaches that, according to R. Yehudah, the
animal (which would pasture according to Chachamim) is put
2. Question: According to Rav (that the first Seir is used
and the second is pastured), the animal should not be
worse than a "backup" animal and should pasture even by
a Korban Yachid!?
3. Answer: Given that Rav holds like R. Yosi that the
Mitzvah is with the first, the second Seir is like an
animal which was Nikdash but which could *never* be
used, and, in the opinion of Rebbi, would be destroyed
if it was a Chatas Yachid.
1. R. Yochanan would make sense of R. Yehudah's statement
since the second pair remains for the Kaparah (and the
remaining animal of the first pair is pastured by the
Korban Tzibur and put to death according to R.
(c) We earlier (64b para. 3.b) asked on Rav from VeOd Amar R.
Yehudah and we now have an alternate rendering of that
question, now posed as a question on R. Yochanan.
2. Question: According to Rav, however, which animal will
serve as the Kaparah?
i. The second of the first set will be Nidcheh (Ba'al
3. Answer: R. Yehudah was not addressing the same animal
which the Chachamim asserted would pasture (second of
the second pair); he was speaking of the second of the
ii. The second of the second will be put to death!?
i. R. Yehudah disagrees and holds that a Chatas
Tzibur *is* put to death.
ii. R. Yehudah also disagrees and holds that second of
the first pair dies.
1. Question: What, according to R. Yochanan, does VeOd
Amar R. Yehudah come to add that we don't already know
from his statement, Tamus?
2. Answer: Good question.
(a) R. Yehudah taught that if the Dam LaShem is spilled the
Mishtaleach must die, and if the Mishtaleach dies the Dam
LaShem must be spilled.
3) USING A LOST-AND-FOUND SEIR FOR THE FOLLOWING YEAR
(b) Question: Why, if the Mishtaleach dies, must the Dam be
spilt, given that the minimum Mitzvah of the Mishtaleach
(the Goralos) was already accomplished (and Shiluach is not
(c) Answer: Based on Yo'amad Chai R. Yanai learns that the Seir
HaMishtaleach must be alive for the Matanos LaShem of its
(a) Question: Why may the Seir not be used for the following
year, rather than pastured or let to die?
1. Regarding lost-replaced-and-found Shekalim we learned
that the Tana Kama holds that they are Hekdesh but they
do not count for the next year, whereas R. Yehudah
holds that they *do* count for the following year.
2. Question: What is R. Yehudah's rationale?
3. Answer (Rava): R. Yehudah holds that over-payments in
one year may be carried over to the next.
4. Question: Then our Seir should also be able to be used
the following year!?
(b) Answer (Rava): We cannot apply Shekalim to Korbanos since
the Korbanos of each year must come from the Terumah of that
year, and hence there is no way to re-use the Seir.
1. Question: But the *Par* (which comes from the Kohen
Gadol's personal funds) should be able to be brought
the following year!?
(c) Answer (R. Zeira): Rather, they may not be re-used because
the Goral of one year cannot apply to the next.
2. Answer: It is a Gezeirah lest we confuse the Par and
3. Question: Will a Gezeirah cause the Par to die (it
should rather pasture and be redeemed as a Ba'al Mum)!?
4. Additional Question: We have learned that, B'di'Eved,
we *are* Yotzei with the Korban taken from the Terumah
of the previous year!?
1. Question: Then bring another animal and do a new Goral!
(d) Answer: Rather, they may not be re-used as a Gezeirah lest
the Seir pass its first year by the following Yom Kipur.
2. Answer: We do not permit this lest people not know that
a new Goral was performed and they may assume that it
is possible to rely on last year's Goral.
3. Question: What about the Par (no Goral)!?
4. Answer: Gezeirah lest we bring the Seir without a
Goral, as well.
5. Question: Will a Gezeirah cause the Par to die!?
1. Question: That is not a Gezeirah, it is a certainty!?
2. Answer: It is possible, according to Rebbi who
(learning from selling a home in an Ir Chomah) says
that we count a Shanah Temimah which is a solar year,
and a late Yom Kipur, followed by an early one, could
result in the animal not yet passing its first year.
3. Question: What about the Par (see Tosfos)?
4. Answer: Gezeirah...
5. Question: Will a Gezeirah...?
6. Additional Question: A Chatas whose year has passed is
pastured, not put to death, as taught by Resh Lakish!