CHAMISHOH MI YODEI'A - FIVE QUESTIONS ON THE WEEKLY SEDRAH - PARSHAS BREISHIS 5768 - BS"D
1) Ch. 1, v. 26: "B'tzalmeiNU kidmuseiNU" - Although the verse earlier says "Naa'seh," seemingly in the plural form, since the intention is actually only Hashem (see Rashi and others for their explanations), why does the verse continue in the plural form?
2) Ch. 1, v. 27: "B'tzalmo b'tzelem Elokim" - We translate "tzelem" as FORM. In Shmos 25:9 we find the word "tavnis," also translated as FORM.
What is the nuance of difference between these two words?
3) Ch. 3, v. 21: "Kosnose ore" - Of what material were these garments made?
4) Ch. 4, v. 3: "Va'y'hi mi'keitz yomim" - What day of the year did the confrontation between Ka'yin and Hevel occur?
How old were they at that time?
5) Ch. 5, v. 29: "Noach" - What was Noach's mother's name?
1) This refers to procreation from Odom and Chavoh onwards. Odom was created from the earth and Chavoh from Odom. From this point on mankind is reproduced in the form and likeness of US, Odom and Chavoh. (gemara Yerushalmi Brochos)
2) In the likeness of US, Torah shebiksav and Torah sheb'al peh (Holy Zohar on parshas Shmini)
3) This alludes to a convert who should behave in OUR form and likeness. Just as we circumcise so too, he should be circumcised, keep Shabbos holy, recite "Shma Yisroel" twice daily, and wear tefillin on his arm and head. (Tikunei Zohar) Why he chooses specifically these mitzvos deserves clarification.
The Shitoh M'kubetzes on gemara K'subos 8b differentiates between these two words. "Tzelem" refers to the spiritual aspect of the form, while "tavnis" refers to the physical aspect.
1) Lamb's wool (gemara Sotoh 14a)
2) Flax (gemara Sotoh 14a)
3) Nails as found on the tips of human fingers (M.R. Breishis 20:12)
4) Camel's hair (M.R. Breishis 20:12)
5) Hare's hair (M.R. Breishis 20:12)
6) Snake skin (Pirkei d'Rebbi Eliezer ch. #20)
7) Skin of the Livyoson fish (Rosh in the name of the medrash, Rivo)
8) Priestly garments (Medrash Tanchumo Hechodosh parshas Toldos #12)
1) The first night of Pesach (Pirkei d'Rebbi Eliezer ch. #21)
2) Chanukah (Breishis Rabboh 22:4)
3) Shovuos (Breishis Rabboh 22:4)
4) Rosh Hashonoh (Zohar Chodosh page 33b)
How old were they at the time?
1) This incident took place on day they were born. (Yalkut Reuveini in the name of the Medrash Plioh)
I don't know how this opinion will explain the words of our verse "Va'y'hi mi'keitz yomim."
2) Fifty days old (Breishis Rabboh 22:4)
3) At the end of their fortieth year (Medrash Tanchuma #9)
4) When they were 100 years old (Ibn Ezra's text of the Medrash Tanchuma #9)
1) Ashmo'a the daughter of Elishua, who was the son of Chanoch (Seder Hayom)
2) Bas Enosh (Medrash Ksav Yad)
3) Bronosh the daughter of Bracheil (Toldos Odom by the Mahara"sh Algazi)
A GUTTEN SHABBOS KODESH. FEEL FREE TO DISTRIBUTE BY COPY OR ELECTRONICALLY.
FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED. TO SUBSCRIBE, KINDLY SEND REQUEST TO: SHOLOM613@AOL.COM
See also Sedrah Selections, Oroh
V'Simchoh - Meshech Chochmoh on the Weekly Parsha and Chasidic Insights